Government has 'urged' mobile companies to bundle malware BHIM on their smartphones

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 602
So your "request" in quotes means "urged" (again, means "forced to") according to the tweet 😀

anyhow. here are a few problems i have with bhim.

NPCI is a private company.
Which makes BHIM/UPI a private venture.
So when government spends money on advertising something, giving away freebies to promote it... It annoys me because they are spending tax money on a private project.
BHIM asks for way too many permissions. They might have fixed it now or maybe they are explaining the permission requirements a bit more... But it is still managed by NPCI which is not very trustworthy.
BHIM has 10K per transaction and 20K per day limit. Which mocks the Rs. 1 lakh limits of the UPI technology. So even if your bank support transaction of Rs. 1 lakh in one go, you cannot do it on BHIM. This is stupid.
Companies like PhonePe have invested a lot on this platform. By bundling BHIM on all smartphones, you are hurting them. They offer a better quality app with more features and more offers and a significantly better customer care team.
If today they are urging for BHIM, tomorrow they would urge for PMO app. JioPhone is already going to bundle Modi's own personal app which is already pretty fucking insane for a phone that would cost the government I assume Rs. 270 rupees in GST per unit sold.

BHIM app: PhonePe claims 45% share of August UPI transfers, overtakes BHIM app - The Economic Times

UPI is doing well on its own. Stop forcing it on consumers. Encourage retailers. None of the retail stores in my local market are still accepting UPI. Few have even heard of it. Some have heard about BHIM but have no idea what it is. I go to a post office... only cash. No UPI. Power and water companies have outsourced payments to third party outlets. I can technically use UPI to pay my power bill through Paytm but why would I do that when I can pay using my credit card and make loyalty points. UPI of course is not accepted at payment counter at the electricity office. Water guys have in fact stopped accepting payment at their office... Online bharo ya partner bank jaake. No UPI. Nothing.