1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Google acquiring HTC?

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by SVK, Sep 8, 2017.

1. SVK

SVK svknet.wordpress.com
    Regulars

Report: HTC and Google "in final stage of negotiation" regarding sale of smartphone business
    Hopefully not Motorola Part 2?

2. Sushubh

Sushubh Administrator
    Moderators Regulars

they fixed motorola and even though lenovo has ruined most of it, moto remains one of the most solid choice for a smartphone in india even today.

htc... i do not see anyone recommending a htc to anyone here or anywhere in a long time. i do not see many htc in the wild. google can possibly do the same to htc and sell it to a bigger company in a few years. sadly, google itself does not seem to be interested in budget segment phones anymore so it is likely that they would use the resources they get to develop and sell pixel devices in future.

dextermorgan likes this.
  3. dextermorgan

dextermorgan Amazing Member
    Regulars

also google kept all of motorola patents with it and just sold the smartphone business plus moto brand to lenovo. iirc it bought moto for 12billion and sold it for 2 billion to lenovo. that means google thinks those patents are worth 10 billion $. wow

4. Sushubh

Sushubh Administrator
    Moderators Regulars

moto was not worth usd 2 billion without the patents. or with parents. those patents probably saved google billions of dollars in potential lawsuits. they were worthless on their own. but for a company like google who was being sued by everyone at that time, it probably prevent hundreds of additional lawsuits as they could have filed counter lawsuits using those old and obscure patents potentially because of language allowing for idiotic usage in real world. :D

5. Sushubh

Sushubh Administrator
    Moderators Regulars

honestly, it is great that a company like google has those patents. motorola was one of the first companies to launch mobile phones so it's likely that those patents could be hugely misused in case they get in hands of a patent troll company. just look at what oracle did (or is still trying to do) with patents related to java. Nokia is making billions from their own patents apparently.

6. mhsabir

mhsabir Xclusive
    Moderators Regulars

Whose parents :p

I used to like HTC phones, but found them prohibitive expensive for their worth. who can forget Nexus One & even you had One X I think??? For a while I considered getting a HTC phone on which my friend had installed Android 2.2 alongside the old Windows mobile OS combined. A dual boot Phone ..

7. v1rus

v1rus Regular
    Regulars

Source

8. Sushubh

Sushubh Administrator
    Moderators Regulars

9. Nishant

Nishant ::IBF Addict::
    Moderators Regulars

10. Sushubh

Sushubh Administrator
    Moderators Regulars

lol. is pixel brand even worth rs. 1 billion.