Recommend a router for Cable Internet Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter Narcos
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 3,606
why would you pay for a whole year without testing it first like for 3 months ?

speed really depends upon your location, check with other lco too

Ask your lco which modem/router he is providing and for how much

There is a testing period of 5 days 🙂 not 3 months like you suggested.. He is not providing any modem/router, I have to purchase it. The pricing I mentioned only includes wiring....

He is suggesting you pay for a month or two first before committing for an entire year.

In fact never commit for an entire year. Prefer to pay on a monthly basis.

anyhow. you would need to get some details about the hardware required for the same. i assume he would need a device with a WAN port with PPPOE support. This means that you would most likely need a wireless router with ethernet ports. There are tons of options in all kinds of budgets. So post a budget as well after confirming if that's what your internet guy needs to deliver the services at your place.

if your lco provider use Ethernet wire you can just connect it directly to your pc and later buy a router, if directly connecting to pc do not works then you can ask you lco to suggest a modem model no or post pic of your cable and ask for suggestions here.

cat 5 and dsl ? pretty sure your lco is an idiot but what could go wrong with 2 mbps connection 🙄

Well, frankly he replies very reluctantly to my queries, he does not respond to my phone calls, Whatsapp msgs. All this even before I'm his customer, so I can only imagine the nightmare that will follow if I chose to avail of his services. He is behaving as if he's an Ambani of sorts.

I'm calling this off for the time being, I don't need such idiots in my life 🙂) ......to be continued .....

Just had a chat with the lco, he says it has to be a "DSL Router", the so called wiring is CAT 5....

WTF! the guy seems to be an idiot, DSL is the same thing you already have from MTNL. He is giving it over CAT5 wire, aka Ethernet cable, yet he can't differentiate the two, Imagine your situation later?

You would need a wifi router for it to work

EDIT:- just saw the message above, good call! best stay away for such options and see if something else is available or may come up in the future.

You bet. I'm hoping someday soon Hathaway will start providing connections in my area (I'm already in touch with their area techie). Until then I'm doomed with my so called 4mbps MTNL connection, OMG (you won't believe hat sort of people work there & the way they respond)

personally, avoid this guy. his plans are stupid. he does not seem to understand the technology he is using to provide services. just wait for some branded services to launch in your area.

You bet. I'm hoping someday soon Hathaway will start providing connections in my area (I'm already in touch with their area techie). Until then I'm doomed with my so called 4mbps MTNL connection, OMG (you won't believe hat sort of people work there & the way they respond)

Very true, at my previous location, I used to live like less that 100 meters from our local BSNL exchange, yet, I chose airtel, even at a paltry 2Mbps max speed they could give me, I was much happier than having to deal with retarded babus, even though I was eligible for max speeds!