MTNL Mumbai MTNL Mumbai updates its pre-FUP speeds to 6mbps minimum for all plans

I am still synced for my 4 Mbps speed though the link you gave says I should be on 8 Mbps. If they are still working on it then i hope I get before the deadline they have stated 😡:cryingface:

Asked them on twitter how long will take to get my a/c to get synced to 8Mbps, no reply. I forgot they are a ESSO company. ESSO= 'E'very 'S'aturday 'S'unday 'O'ff:winkytongue::frown:

Speed hasn't been upgraded yet.
I guess should call MTNL and get this thing done.

Tried calling 1500 just now, 1st time it was disconnected 2nd time it was picked but NOBODY RESPONDED. I waited fr over 5 mins then gave up. This is how they behave when v call to find out when they will upgrade our speeds 😡😡

Finally managed to get thru to MTNL Aunties just now on 1504 (I was told to go there by 1500), I was told that work was going on 'hallu hallu' (slowly slowly, as if we have to be told that):winkytongue: & would be completed in THIS MONTH :emoji_astonished:

@socrates
Called 1500, MTNL aunty was kind to talk but she had no clue about the speed upgrades. She kept telling me the information I have is wrong. I told her I am telling you from the MTNL website, then I went ahead and educated her with all the speed upgrades right from 2mbps upto my 8mbps. Then she asked her colleague in background to check if something like this really exists, her colleague said , "Yaaaas. his(my) speed should be 12mbps now, wait let me check" She gave her my number and she shouted his plan has been upgraded to 12mbps.
I told her my speed hasn't been upgraded my 'data rate' is still the same. She clearly didn't understand but then gave me a number to call to tell them to upgrade the speed. Called that number.. nobody is picking up.

Strange looks like all have not been informed as the lady i spoke to was aware & surprised to hear its not been done fr me as its over a week then tht work had started

@socrates
UPDATE : So 1500 had given me 2 numbers to call and get the speed upgraded. Of which one was 12540 (tollfree). At first this number wasn't working (got the message saying the line was dead .. duh!) In few hours it started working but was always busy. Finally was able to get through, the person manning the phone seem to be a technician so he knew exactly what needs to be done.
But what he said next was disappointing, he said not everyone will be given an upgrade, they (exchange probably) is slowly sending numbers for speed upgrade as soon as they clear it up. And my number hasn't been sent for speed upgrade yet.
How much time will it take? He said maybe a week. Will call in 2-3 days again and check.

In my past visits I have seen in the server room that this process is down MANUALLY. Yes that's correct. 1504 also told me some devices have to be installed ( wonder where) & the most imp point what happens if ppl's lines cant take the upgraded speed. I think most would vote with their feet & leave (if they have a choice)

MTNL is the only decent option for me still. I called up Hathway to enquire about their plans and was told it's on the website. When I told him the website plans look old, he couldn't give me any new plans.
I'm on an old unlimited plan for MTNL, which is ok. But it's frustrating to see others getting such awesome speeds thanks to their providers.

@beyondinvisible
imo, MTNL is the only decent ISP right now.
People will disagree but overall I been an tri band user for 10+ years and never had any major problem with them. Most issues for me have been resolved in less than 2hrs of complaining unless its an issue where they have to visit.

On side I have tried various other ISPs and they either have bad plans, expensive plans or shitty customer service.
The cable guys give ridiculous plans but their service is shit, 3 out of 7 days its down or is terrible. During day time speed is terrible and rest of the time when I pay for 10mbps I get speed anywhere between 0-10mbps. This isn't a problem for downloaders but I like consistent speed as most of the time I am on a skype or hangout conf call and it stutters randomly. Quite annoying.
Airtel has laughable post FUP speeds.
Tikona plans are confusing and their speed isn't consistent for me.
Hathway support email bounces back, when I call they say we don't serve your area but I know a person who has hathway and their house is less than 1km from me.
In my experience, I have not seen any ISP that I can say is good or gives me a good reason to switch.

Speed is something you cannot complain about with MTNL, their plans range from 2mbps to 16mbps on your old copper line, FTTH is a yet another different discussion. Sorry to be blunt but your problem isn't MTNL but paying for internet, not everything can be cheap. Most people want cheap internet but want to suck the ISP dry so the caps have to be imposed. If you are willing to pay a bit premium you can get good speeds with manageable FUP limit. Its a compromise for good internet one has to pay as infra isn't cheap.

/rant start
There was time when you really need high download cap as speeds were terrible and everything had to be downloaded and hoarded, but people need to understand we have passed that phase now and if you want to watch something you can download and watch or better yet stream that shit at good speeds you have at your disposal. Once people start living that mentality and stop hoarding or stop growing their collection for no apparent reason (now), bandwidth costs will go so so low that we will get good speed plans from our ISPs.

We need to start using internet instead of trying to store it on our hard drives.
/rant over.

Last edited: