• Thread starter Thread starter powerwatts
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 7,194

powerwatts

Regular
ISP
ACT
Until 3 days ago or so, the IP on my portal page and on whatismyip.com used to be the same. Now, the IP on the portal page is different to that on whatismyip.com. I called the representative who came today and he says that they have changed their network and if you want a single IP, it will cost 250/month!!

Curious to know if anyone else from Hyderabad has been at the receiving end of this?

mmm you mean you are now getting a private ip?

This has been the case in Bangalore for a couple of years now. Your portal page will show 10.xxxx and your Public IP will be the ACT assigned IP block. 106.xx/49.xx etc. CGNAT is a bitch, breaks several apps, you can't port-forward etc etc. The worst is when you get hit by spam filters repeatedly because the single IP is being used by several users at the same time. Prepared to be bombarded with "Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network." messages from Google every time you perform a search query.

umm it has been different for me since a few months now. my portal page ip starts with 10.xxxxxxxx but my public ip is 183.xxxxxxxx

I haven.t had any problems till now

umm it has been different for me since a few months now. my portal page ip starts with 10.xxxxxxxx but my public ip is 183.xxxxxxxx

I haven.t had any problems till now

Same here. The thing this network change has caused is all ports are closed. The CCTV cameras don't work and neither do the games.

^ My ISP does this as well. You have to request them to assign a private static IP (10.x.x.x) and the corresponding gateway has all ports open by default. That way you can access your CCTV cameras from outside your network.

I contacted ACT like I said in the first post and they say a static IP will cost 250 a month!! Is the person conning me or is this bewildering thing true?

2500 per year has been mentioned a few times on the forum already iirc. den boomband is also charging the same. these smaller players do not have as many IPs as airtel or bsnl so they do not have much choice i guess. excitel does not even offer them at all as they are an even smaller player lol.

airtel of course charge 99 bucks per month.

I contacted ACT like I said in the first post and they say a static IP will cost 250 a month!! Is the person conning me or is this bewildering thing true?
That's legit. My ISP charges ₹400 for the same. Someone here mentioned the private IP (10.x.x.x) is free and only the public IP (183.x.x.x) costs ₹250 per month.

I still have this old Static IP from ACT in Bangalore without any additional charges but this was issued a few years ago, because of our then network server + camera setup.

*I had disconnected the connection in favor of another local provider over a year ago & they gave me a hard time when we asked for the same static IP, they had another concept of some Public IP (which isn't exactly static but it follows a separate VPN route to the internet, instead of the otherwise normal/private IP which is behind NAT).

They eventually gave us a Static IP when their network engineer could not solve the network connectivity issue of a certain application running on the server at the time, but as of today we don't have the server setup but our network camera still continues to work seamlessly.

same case iam having VPN connectivity problem with my router because ddns not working so iam thinking to change from act airtel is the best in Hyderabad but it is not available in my areia(gandinagar) so pleas tell me which isp to go

That's legit. My ISP charges ₹400 for the same. Someone here mentioned the private IP (10.x.x.x) is free and only the public IP (183.x.x.x) costs ₹250 per month.

Dang!! ACT did it for free like 8 months ago in Bangalore. Just like their plans, looks like they have different policies for different cities.