• Thread starter Thread starter powerontop
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 3,456

powerontop

Regular
ISP
MTNL
Hello everybody, I am a new user just signed up for this good forum on Broadband. I am currently a Dialup user and wanting to go for a broadband connection but am confused which one to go for and a few more doubts as detailed below : 1. I am currently thinking between BSNL DataOne and MTNL Triband. But both have something that the other does not and vice-versa. BSNL DataOne 1. 1GB limit for Rs. 500 on Home 500 Plan with 256 kbps. 2. Supposedly better infrastructure, direct backend Internet backbone connectivity, etc. 3. Comes up with good plans frequently. MTNL 1. 500 MB limit for Rs. 590 on DSL NU plan. at 256 kbps. 2. Might be more relevant in Mumbai. 3. Has service problems due to laziness or lack of computer knowledge(not much techy). 4. Independent of the Govt. control so might be better? It seems from this forum and elsewhere that BSNL's offering is more mature because it came out earlier than MTNL?, good service/uptime/features, good modems etc. MTNL shines in its Night free facility which BSNL does not (currently) have. But what if BSNL comes up with that tommorow. Ho does that change the equation. 2. I am currently have a MTNL Telephone connection which is not very good(cracking noises are permanent residents of this line). You can imagine my trouble I go thru connecting on a dialup right now. I have to try and retry at various time, pickup and keep back the receiver inorder for the cracking noises to somehow go away and when they finally when it does, I connect on my dialup and just pray they don't comeup again(most of the time they do) and I get disconnected. So I am planning to go for a new line whether MTNL or BSNL depending on whose BB I take. Is this a good choice or shud I use my existing telephone line for BB. What about those cracking noises? Resale value of the telephone line if I choose to switch BB provider? 3. Who provides better BB modem BSNL or MTNL? I have heard problems with D-Link modems given out by these two chaps. Whose technology is good (ADSL 2+ etc). 4. Overall connection satisfaction interms of download speed, uptime, connectivity, cost to benefit ratio, future technology compatibility, customer service(their service men shud know what linux is?). I am in Mumbai(Borivali area). I had read somewhere that BSNL is not there at all in Mumbai for BB. If that is true then the decision would be more obvious but want to decide if I shud take the plunge or should wait for some miracle(either in mtnl or bsnl coming in if it is not already). I have a few more points hiding somewhere in my mind, but you get the picture. I am a heavy downloader(which computer techy isn't ;-)) and might be downloading entire OS updates and P2P stuff so please guide me the best provider. BB ISP's until the situation in India changes, is more like getting married, lot of contemplataion has to be done to avoid hassles later. ;-) Please guide me in choosing the right provider. Since there is no common forum for both BSNL and MTNL I would be cross posting it to both the forums. Hope I have done right by posting for your guidance. 🙂 Awaiting your replies, Thanks.

already replied in MTNL forum...that is, if u're in Mumbai, u can only have MTNL...

Originally posted by powerontop@Jul 19 2005, 07:54 PM
I am a heavy downloader(which computer techy isn't ;-)) and might be downloading entire OS updates and P2P stuff so please guide me the best provider.
Interesting thing is that how you became a heavy downloader with dialup with that sort of line condition. I understand your situation because I'm also a dialup user. Ask your JTO/DE to correct your line fault. Make them understand that a now-a-days a PSTN line is not only meant for coversation.

First pls check all your connections for loose ones. Check the Line at the point it enters ur premises. If all connections are tight then take the happiness of the JTO and DE as suggested by our friend and keep all the Docket numbers with you ( get a print out of the same from the exchnage ).

Originally posted by skfg60@Jul 20 2005, 12:46 AM
Interesting thing is that how you became a heavy downloader with dialup with that sort of line condition. I understand your situation because I'm also a dialup user. Ask your JTO/DE to correct your line fault. Make them understand that a now-a-days a PSTN line is not only meant for coversation.
[snapback]17160[/snapback]
[/quote]

🙂 well patience is the name of the game. Back then broadband was not available in india at all atleast for home users as today, other options were Cable but my cable provider does not provide any internet on cable here, some other prodivers say get me atleast 30-50 people only then we can give u cable connection and the story goes on. But now that proper broadband is been provided, (though on telephone lines which makes me wonder), I can't resist the temptation to jump in and can't carry the dialup misery anymore.
So wanted your feedback inorder to prevent the dialup saga repeating again.

Thanks for your inputs.

Originally posted by BSNL_CMD@Jul 20 2005, 01:11 AM
First pls check all your connections for loose ones. Check the Line at the point it enters ur premises. If all connections are tight then take the happiness of the JTO and DE as suggested by our friend and keep all the Docket numbers with you ( get a print out of the same from the exchnage ).
[snapback]17171[/snapback]
[/quote]

The thing is that here in mumbai, you complain to the telephone exchange, they come they don't come. If they come, they do something it works for 2-3 days and then back to their old condition. Plus this is rainy season so all the more reason for them to put the blame on rains. The real irony part is they come to repair someelses line and screw up other lines too.

Kya kare....how many times to complain. 🙂 Just praying the new line is not bad. BTW does MNTL charge if you change telephone lines on which ur BB connection is given if all other thing remaining same?.

Thanks.

Threaten them that you will complain to the TRAI and also the corporate office and lastly may even go to the Consumer Forum for Deficiency in service and mental agony. Put this threat in b/w.

Just write a strong letter to the General Manager and a copy to all Tom, Dick & Harry and send them a clear message that, you will not rest them in peace till a solution is found. Mostly to avoid trouble, they will rectify the problem.

We are thankful to you for the creation of such a wonderful forum, to air out our grievances without any constraint or restraint. But, I was talking about letters to higher-ups and may be a threat of draging them to the consumer forum. :angry:

any company wants to conduct business to make money. they are not blackmailing you. their are lot more options available in the market in current times. sify is profiteering with differential pricing in different cities. bsnl on the other hand is quite decent.