Linking Bank Account with Aadhaar Card

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 172
  • Views Views 17,937
mmm. that tomorrow was today.

today will soon become yesterday, but there are many tomorrows to come....

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning" - Albert Einstein

Deadline moved to March 31, 2018 for all except PAN applications :biggrin: You can open new bank account without aadhaar number or application number.

SC defers deadline to linK Aadhaar with bank a/cs

The bench also consisting of Justices A K Sikri, A M Khanwilkar, D Y Chandrachud and Ashok Bhushan- rejected Attorney General KK Venugopal's suggestion that those opening new bank accounts should produce Aadhaar application or the ten-digit Unique Identification number at the bank.

"We likewise extend the last date for the completion of the process of Aadhaar linking of new bank accounts to March 31, 2018," Justice Chandrachud said, reading out the judgement he authored on behalf of the bench.

The court decided to continue with its two-judge bench ruling on June 9 asking citizens with Aadhaar to cite the UID number while filing I-T returns.

IN that ruling in the 'Binoy Visman vs Union of India' case- the court had upheld the validity of Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act, saying all those applying for PAN cards would also have to quote Aadhaar number or its enrollment number.

Yes....the government will obviously want to keep insisting on what they want, and SC will have to again clarify.

weird. i have been reading the opposite.
You are not wrong though, I am not 100% sure though but read something in these lines.

Aadhaar is required for opening bank accounts but only for verification. One can choose not to link it with bank account at the time of opening. But linking should be done within 6 months of opening the account and/or before till 31st March 2018.

So thats it, linking is all mandantory now? No more escape routes for the people who have not got an Aadhaar card yet?

Nothing has changed unless you are applying for a new bank account. Might not work without enrollment number.

I doubt banks would turn away a new customer for not having Aaadhaar, since anyway they have to comply with linking Aadhaar by 31st March 2018.

But these banks can drive you insane. Someone posted in Facebook saying SBI refused to link his Aadhaar. Reason ? because it is already linked with another bank. So SBI tells him to close the other bank account....hahaha.

from what i have read on twitter... banks have been refusing new accounts without aadhaar for months now. even salaried accounts. even private banks. hdfc is the one mentioned most of the times. but yeah, it probably changes from one branch to another.

@Sushubh
I think branches are taking more of a stance like "...Saar anyway you have to link later, do it now na.."
If one doesn't stick with not linking until its mandatory they will force you to do it.
Also all Indian services suddenly happen faster and smoother if you are willing to give your Aadhaar. Its like a lube soon to be mandatory.

About branches making up their own rule.
Earlier this year, June-July I had to get my name added to the list of people to access my parent's bank locker. They said I would need to give them my Aadhar for that. I asked why? They said vertification. I said okay, PAN, Passport, or any photo ID should be okay , correct? They say yes but Aadhaar would be good. Give Aadhaar only it makes verification fast and quick. I provided my PAN as photo ID the lady was not happy. She said give Aadhaar also else I can't complete verification. I asked her whats wrong? She said if you won't provide go talk to the branch manager. I talked to him and the first thing he asked was why I don't want to give. I counter questioned, if only a photo ID is required why can't you accept PAN? And even told him if it makes you happy I've my seperate account in the your branch from past 10 years or so. He still wanted to know why I don't want to provide Aadhaar and I kept on saying I don't have it on me but here is my PAN, so will you make me get it and waste my time for something which can just happen right now with PAN? He was not happy but he approved it.

These are the kind of tricks Indian banks play on their customers. When my mother wanted to open a pension ac in a state bank (now merged with sbi) the bank asked her to open a fixed deposit for 25k though there was no such rule. When she told them she does not have 25k they said they will deduct from the pension arrears due to her. She told them she needs the money and their replied "you can take a loan on the fd" 😀 Few years later the government revised the pension but she never got paid the increased pension for several years. When she learnt about the pension revision from someone the bank claimed they never received any order for it. After doing some investigation it was found the order was never forwarded from the head office of the bank to the branch. But the government office records showed it had been sent. The bank agreed to pay with interest to avoid any further legal issues. Imagine how many innocent people across India might be victimized by such scams.

UIDAI suspends Airtel's Aadhaar-linked e-KYC services

The issue came to light when a few customers complained about receiving their cooking gas subsidy under the DBT scheme in the Airtel Payments Bank account instead of their designated savings bank accounts with other banks.

Apparently at the time of mobile verification using Aadhaar e-KYC, the Airtel retailers also opened Airtel Payments Bank accounts without their users' consent. The company apparently transferred the government's LPG subsidy to these accounts.

Last edited:
Sbi last year forced my mother to have health insurance when she already had one telling it's mandatory. Still deducting 200 for accident insurance. Branch manager is a ahole when I complained.
I find yes bank much better in service even on charges.