Linking Bank Account with Aadhaar Card

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 172
  • Views Views 17,899
I had Aadhar linked to Bank 1 when it was mandatory for getting Gas subsidy. I was regularly getting Subsidy amount credited to Bank 1.
Last week I linked Aadhar with Bank 2 as this bank was continuously sending me SMS. After Aadhar was linked I got this months Gas sibsidy in Bank 2 instead of Bank 1.
Now I also have Salary account in Bank 3, and this bank also sent me SMS to link Aadhar. I guess after I link Aadhar to Bank 3, my Gas subsidy would go to Bank 3.
However this Bank 3 has very high minimum balance requirement for Savings account if account is not Salary account, so by all means I would close this account if I change job. So after my Bank 3 account is closed I am wondering where would my Gas subsidy be credited. Is there any option by which we can select Bank account where we want our Gas subsidy would be credited.
Besides not only Gas subsidy, but I am sure Govt use Aadhar linked account to credit various funds. So it would be better if people can control in which account they want amount to be credited.

@SVK - just give fresh request for linking Aadhar to bank 1. (or bank you want).

Request goes to NPCI and latest request is stored in their database.

Reactions: SVK
^^^ I think that is the only option available to link DBT back desired bank.

^ this is pretty huge. rbi as of now has no role in making aadhaar bank account linkage mandatory. so all the nonsense that is happening is pretty likely illegal. hopefully this would work against the government during the court hearings next month.

I think Government does have right to send guidelines / order to banks. (even without consulting RBI)

But Point number 3 of RTI is interesting. It talks about 6 points where Aadhar can be made compulsory. Now I am not sure what are those 6 points but that can be basis for the hearing.

RBI clarifies why linking of Aadhaar with bank account is mandatory
"The Reserve Bank clarifies that, in applicable cases, linkage of Aadhaar number to bank account is mandatory under the Prevention of Money-Laundering (Maintenance of Records) Second Amendment Rules, 2017 published in the Official Gazette on June 1, 2017.," the central bank said.

RBI... again tries to confuse & scare people with ambiguous language...

about applicable cases... someone mentioned on reddit that the requirement is not applicable on basic accounts which cannot have more than 2 lakh rupee deposits. not sure if this is accurate or just speculation. i know of restricted bank accounts with 1L limitations. haven't heard about any restricted bank accounts with limitations of 2L rupees.