• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 4,507

kalpik

Regulars
ISP
Airtel Turbo 1299
Hi!

I have not been able to open http://www.grc.com since a month now. Even tried formatting. Its a security site, as many of u might know. (Home of Shields UP).

Is any of u able to open it?

It just says, looking up grc.com.... then it says connecting to grc.com... then it says operation timed out. Im able to open ANY other site but not this one.

yes dear it is working fine here .i am from mumbai and using 64 Kbps shared.

Originally posted by kalpik@Jul 19 2005, 11:09 AM
Hi!

I have not been able to open http://www.grc.com since a month now. Even tried formatting. Its a security site, as many of u might know. (Home of Shields UP).

Is any of u able to open it?

It just says, looking up grc.com.... then it says connecting to grc.com... then it says operation timed out. Im able to open ANY other site but not this one.
[snapback]17003[/snapback]
[/quote]

Call Customer Care and ask them to unblock the port for that site.

Huh.. it's a website and it uses the same port as other websites that is port 80 which Sify will never close 😀 (or websurfing gets blocked).

Sounds like a DNS or some other Sify server problem to me and Sify has been having such issues for some time now. It fails to open sites often. Also check your hosts file (do a search for it on Windows) and check whether www.grc.com is listed there at the bottom with a corresponding entry of 127.0.0.1.

^ Thats not true, when I took sify connection my own site did not opened. I had to complain this case to sify CC and after that they unblocked the port. Sify does not block the client port (80) they blocks the server's proxy port (if any).

Originally posted by inetbum@Jul 19 2005, 01:44 PM
Huh.. it's a website and it uses the same port as other websites that is port 80 which Sify will never close  😀 (or websurfing gets blocked).

Sounds like a DNS or some other Sify server problem to me and Sify has been having such issues for some time now. It fails to open sites often. Also check your hosts file (do a search for it on Windows) and check whether www.grc.com is listed there at the bottom with a corresponding entry of 127.0.0.1.
[snapback]17017[/snapback]
[/quote]

Why should grc.com be at the address of 127.0.0.1??? That is the loopback adapter!

@cancer10: Call the CC! Puhlease! There has to be an easier way out!

Thats not true, when I took sify connection my own site did not opened. I had to complain this case to sify CC and after that they unblocked the port.[/b]

You were hosting your site on Sify itself right? So Sify had blocked incoming traffic to port 80 for you which is not unnatural.

But if Sify starts blocking outgoing traffic to port 80 then how will you open any website at all! Not able to open a site has nothing to do with a closed port because public websites are commonly hosted on port 80 and Sify won't block your source port because it would be a random one and it won't block the destination port 80 because then no site will open!

Why should grc.com be at the address of 127.0.0.1??? That is the loopback adapter![/b]

If grc.com is listed corresponding to 127.0.0.1 then remove that line because some malware add this line to your hosts file for common AV websites etc. so that they will always resolve to your own computer and not show up 😉

Originally posted by inetbum@Jul 19 2005, 05:41 PM
You were hosting your site on Sify itself right? So Sify had blocked incoming traffic to port 80 for you which is not unnatural.

But if Sify starts blocking outgoing traffic to port 80 then how will you open any website at all! Not able to open a site has nothing to do with a closed port because public websites are commonly hosted on port 80 and Sify won't block your source port because it would be a random one and it won't block the destination port 80 because then no site will open!

Nope, Sify is not hosting my site. Secondly please read my last post again. I said they do NOT block client side ports. They sometimes block the server side proxy port. And they had blocked my site's port www.cisindia.net initially.

Hope u got me now 🙂

What is meant by client side port? When we start up our browser it is a client and it is assigned a random port which which can never be blocked because it's arbitrary 😉. As regards your site if it was hosted usisng another service provider's connection and had its server side proxy port as something other than port 80 then it might have been blocked.

My point is no ISP blocks port 80 on outgoing and www.grc.com uses port 80 to accept connections as do most websites. So this issue has nothing to do with closed ports 😉.

www.grc.com is fine on my computer and formatting the instant something is wrong is just being lazy. Though if you don't have any important data on your computer it might be faster than actually looking for and fixing the problem so....

Originally posted by juned_1981@Jul 19 2005, 12:05 PM
yes dear it is working fine here .i am from mumbai and using 64 Kbps shared.
[snapback]17007[/snapback]
[/quote]

Originally posted by inetbum@Jul 19 2005, 11:27 PM
What is meant by client side port? When we start up our browser it is a client and it is assigned a random port which which can never be blocked because it's arbitrary  😉. As regards your site if it was hosted usisng another service provider's connection and had its server side proxy port as something other than port 80 then it might have been blocked.

My point is no ISP blocks port 80 on outgoing and www.grc.com uses port 80 to accept connections as do most websites. So this issue has nothing to do with closed ports  😉.
[snapback]17129[/snapback]
[/quote]

I never said that they block the client side port. My site uses a port other than port 80 and the sify guys had blocked that port and hence I could not open my site. The sify people themselves admitted that they had blocked it and that was the reason for which my site could not be opened. And this is the reason I insist that the sify guys might have blocked the port for www.grc.com too. Just a thought, I am not confident though.

Hope u got my point 🙂

Yeah, I understood what you meant 😉. Some sites use other than port 80 but it's not common and grc.com uses port 80 itself. I found this out by typing grc.com's :80 in this form in a browser and it worked. Hence I think the trouble is Domain Name Resolution itself 🙂

There is a list of alternate DNS servers that other sify users use somewhere on the board other than that you can just ask someone online to do a tracert on www.grc.com and tell you the IP to directly enter in your browser.

grc wprks fine .. shield's up is prety good to test ur fwall and browser headers which i usually do . Sify cant block that site .......... its not a warez site

Quite possible in this case sify didnot block the port and they cannotbut they blocked the request going to specific ip mapping to grc.comHey kalpik try going to grc using a proxy rather than directlyIf still it doesnot work then maybe some other issue