BSNL PUNE-WIMAX AND IBM DELAYS BSNL PLANS

Originally posted by dr_nvkrishna@Jul 17 2005, 03:27 PM
The services that would be supported include, always-on broadband access for residential and business users, content-based services, video-multicasting, video-on-demand and interactive gaming among others. 
[snapback][/snapback]
[/quote]

Does the always On braodband mean unlimited donwloads ?. If that was the case then damn this IBM people. I tell u guys..nothing in INDIA is done on plan . Every thing needs a postponement

maybe BSNL defaulted on paying IBM any money... so IBM defaulted on sending the hardware 😎

Future growth of Internet depends on cost factor: Minister

PANAJI: Emphasising that telecom manufacturers and operators must keep the price factor in mind to enable their services reach all sections of the society, Union Minister of State for IT and Communication Shakeel Ahmed on Monday said low cost of entry wo uld determine future of internet and broadband access in the developing countries.

"Internet and broadband are currently an expensive proposition for the major segment of our population, which is extremely price sensitive. Availability of low cost PCs and handsets as well as reasonable tariff rates, including low cost of entry will det ermine the future growth of internet and broadband access in developing countries," Mr Ahmed said while addressing the Asia-Pacific Telecommunication and ICT Development Forum here.

"The benefits of access can only be realised if the usage is high and if the consumer is not inhibited by the high cost. Manufacturers need to devise solutions appropriate to lower income regions, and operators need to strive to find innovative solutions to keep the end-user cost down", he said.

Later speaking to reporters, the Minister said his department had already identified 100 cities where broadband services would be provided and BSNL had given 86,000 connections in these cities.

"In the next phase we will indentify 200 more cities which will get broadband facilities because we believe that broadband and Internet are one of the parameters of growth in the country", he said

Mr. shakeel ahmed..its not just getting broadband to cities its about the facilities u give them including the tarrifs

wimax is quite likely to take off...the reason it has not already is cos in the US and Europe etc, the existig operators have already committed so much to 3G and DSL etc, that they simply wich that wimax would go away and leave them in peace.Wimax is so much damn cheaper - 4 or 5 towers per city as compared to 1000 km of cables or expensive 3g crap+licenses.This makes it a very attractive proposition for countries that are just joining the telecom revolution - india, latin american countries, china etc... which is why it is starting slow. None of these countries have the moolah to push ahead too fast. It is revealing of 5 or so telecom operators worldwide who expressed an early interest in wimax, 2 or 3 were Indian (Reliance, Tata, BSNL now too)

Bwahaha.. WiMax by BSNL. Dude, anybody who believes this sh*tty news is on crack or a hopeless idealist or an outright idiot.Can you tell me 1 location in the world where Wimax is up and running successfully? It's all still in the lab and early testing phase.Secondly, no matter how much intel pimps wimax, wimax equipment especially during the first 1-2 years will have many problems and will be expensive. You think bsnl can afford this stuff and push subscribers to adopt it? Many bsnl subscribers don't even know what wifi is, forget wimax. And to make wimax viable, you need a large user base. End of day dreaming.And sushubh stated point 5, have you had any personal experience with the bsnl people who come to your house/office to install the broadband connection? You vacillate between feeling angry on these technical illiterates and having pity on them. I have had bsnl broadband for 5 months now. I still don't know if there exists a direct line to the bsnl broadband technical help dept. All I have is a phone no.(from my caller id when they called me up) and a dataone helpdesk email id.

Its a pity, those who curse BSNL and its Dataone, still continue to use it though there are other vendors for the same service as well.Its really a pity.

indians are lazy when it comes to changing. i know here in my office, no one has any particular need to stay with windows os. but nope, they wont give linux a try.

bsnl_cmd- I had airtel broadband until march. Then I took up bsnl. How many times should I change my phone number and broadband connection? Are you willing to pay for 2 installations? I did have airtel and bsnl broadband. "Its a pity, those who curse BSNL and its Dataone, still continue to use it though there are other vendors for the same service as well. Its really a pity."Please name 2 vendors in blr with the same speed and dsl service(not cable).If you are in a mood of being such a unqualified cheerleader for bsnl, can you confirm when bsnl is coming out with wimax internet? Read my post again dude, The first paragraph was about wimax. The second para reiterated what sushubh said. You are indeed well qualified to take up the post of bsnl-cmd.

Thaks for appreciating my qualification. I am not a cheer leader ( paid or unpaid ). I just feel we should be in the "complain mode" all the time. If you dont like someones service then u shud quit it and go to the better option is what I feel. Its an open market. I have been using DIAS for 1-1 1/2 years before this and further I have used cable net since 2 years beofre I took that. I have been a sufferer or enjoyer of all my decisions of changing service providers all thu this period.

The need of the hour is passing a resolution of thanks giving to BSNL for providing us a superb broadband experience (atleast for a vast majority of us out here who did not have any other alternative). For so many years, many of us were suffering from the TINA factor (There Is No Alternative) and had to depend on the rickety and shoddy dial-up service, which only gave a horrible internet experience and mostly kept away people like me from tapping the vast potential of the internet.After the advent of Broadband service by BSNL, I could experience the magic of internet, such as E-learning and other numerous resources and facilities, which you could tap from your home.If BSNL say it plans to introduce Wi-MAX, let us all welcome it with applause rather than needless criticism. I want to make it clear to the critics of the BSNL, it is the BSNL, which has contributed heavily for the development of both Mobile Communication and Broadband in India in terms of infrastructure and prices. Please don't forget the so called super efficient Private sector has not done much either to spread their network or provision of cost effective services to the Indian consumer. Infrastructural development work when taken at a pan-India level does create major constraint due to the shear size of the country, and the example of super efficient Reliance is a good example, which is renowned for cost effective and speedy completion of major projects.BSNL may have some limitations due to the Govt. policies, which at times is more social welfare oriented than service or business. But, we have to appreciate the fact that inspite of such constraints, it is performing almost at par with the private sector and giving them a run for their money. But not for BSNL, these Private mafias would have formed a cartel and squeezed and sucked us all.

Reliance is a cunning co/group. They slashed rates to capture market and the service is not all that great though they created the first genuine price revolution.