Airtel Internet TV - Airtel's new 4K DTH STB powered by Android TV (You don't own it. Airtel does!)

• Thread starter Thread starter warpspeed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 16,894
went through the reviews... fun read. hardware quality is bad. most people are facing issues with remote and bluetooth connectivity. performance seems to be bad. airtel dth subscription is required even for chromecasting feature. hilarious shit.

Amazon behaves like an ass sometimes.

rHKuOnZ.webp

Last edited:
I also had call with Airtel CC just to check offer.
When I said I dont want now, I will call later (reason I gave was slow speed broadband at home), still CC girl told I can use it as normal STB to watch DTH channels. I would have been still interested if it has Hotstar or Amazon Prime Video.

I assume Hotstar has an Android TV app? Amazon Prime probably does not because Amazon wants you to buy their Fire branded devices. Though Airtel promised that this box would get Amazon Prime support because well this is being sold through Amazon. But then one cannot trust Airtel.

Amazon behaves like an ass sometimes.
I got similar reply when I wanted to post review for "very" bad mobile cover which I had received. They rejected. I simply gave 1 star. Good thing is it was returned and refund received next day, unlike Flipkart.

So Android TV has different apps compared to Mobiles/Tablets?

i doubt they are manually reading the reviews. i think they are using machines to look for certain keywords that blacklists the comment. i changed the language and resubmitted. waiting to see if it gets posted.

So Android TV has different apps compared to Mobiles/Tablets?

yes. android tv apps have a ui that is compatible with hardware remotes. android tv devices can run regular apps but you need to use a mouse like device to navigate as remotes are not supported. that's what i have read. for example... jiotv does not have an android tv app. so it would load vertically on a tv screen and you would need a wireless mouse or a touchpad type device to use it. user experience is poor.

vlc lets you use their android tv layout on a mobile through a setting. the ui completely changes.

Amazon is pretty bad at this. i have never received an email alert for a comment on my review. i have to check it manually.

Update: I just had a word with Airtel DTH CC. They confirmed that the box will be leased and you don't actually own it. The 4999 and 7999 is actually for DTH subscription, installation charges and non refundable deposit. It also wont work as standalone Android TV without a DTH Subscription. I'd rather stick with Tata Sky and smart tv apps for now.

So does tatasky and other dth service also provide connection on leased devices ?