Configuration for DLink - DSL 502T

Sudar

[OP]
Regulars
Jul 16, 2005
Hi allI am from Chennai and I have recently taken BSNL Dataone connection. I have opted for my own modem (I think that was a bad decision) and brought DLink DSL-502T ADSL Router.Since I have got my own modem, BSNL guys said that they will not support or configure my router. And for nearly 3 weeks I am trying to configure my DSL-50T router but all in vain. I configured it as it was given in the manual by logging to the router using the ip 192.168.1.1, but I always get the error “678: Remote Computer Not reachable”. So far I haven’t connected even once.I tired to connect using my cousin’s BSNL modem and it was connecting. So I went to the shop from where I brought this modem and got it replaced also. But even then I am getting the same “678” error.Could any body share with me their DLink DSL 502T, BSNL configuration. I am breaking my head for nearly 3 weeks and top of that BSNL guys are saying that it’s my fault and they will not give any support also. Here is my system configurationOS : Window XP pro SP1Modem : DLink DSL 502 TError No : 678.Thanks in advance.

nandu_n

Jul 8, 2005
I think you have to supply your username and password while configuring modem. I am also in need to the instructions for connecting dataone modem to router. I think BSNL_CMD has done this work and he can give some reply reagrding this.

Sudar

[OP]
Regulars
Jul 16, 2005
Originally posted by nandu_n@Jul 16 2005, 11:55 AM
I think you have to supply your username and password while configuring modem. I am also in need to the instructions for connecting dataone modem to router. I think BSNL_CMD has done this work and he can give some reply reagrding this.
[snapback]16544[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ya i have given the username and password in the router. BTW is BSNL_CMD a user in this forum..?

dxer

Sleepwalker
Regulars
May 14, 2005
I configured this modem at ease and is functioning very effectivelly. The inputs were from this site. I am reposting the same for the forum members:U don't need any special software/etc to setup the 502T ADSL Router!Just do the following and u r connected to broadband right away!1. Connect the required cables, splitter, etc. in correct fashion.2. Open IE/Firefox. Goto 192.168.1.1 and login as "admin",pass="admin".3. To erase previous settings (to start from fresh),Click tab "Tools"->"system"->"restore to factory dafault"->wait.Dont close window till reboot is over. After reboot,4. Click Tab "Home"->"Run Wizard"->"Next"->enter "admin" pass>select timezone>select "PPPoe/PPPoA">enter bsnl userid, pass>vpi=0>vci=35>PPPoE LLC->Restart.Dont close window till reboot is over.5. Goto ur network card's properties from device manager-> choose TCP/IP->Properties->set obtain IP address and DNS automatically.6. Reboot your PC and turn off and then back on ur modem.You can browse at ease now ! This is required one-time and the connection is always on. Don't forget to give a "Thank You"!! The posting was by Agnivo at May 21 2005, 08:50 PM

Sudar

[OP]
Regulars
Jul 16, 2005
Hi dxer..Thanks for replying. I already this post that you have posted and have done it for more than 5 times. But even then i am getting the same error (ie) Error No : 678 :(

BSNL_CMD

Regular
Regulars
Jun 26, 2005
Is ur router a modem as well. Not all D Link routers are modems as well. I dont use a D link one one of Linksys which works similarly to the one of Netgear. Netgear is almost a plug and play I am told. My Linnksys is not a Modem Router but just a router. Linksys has a installation process which takes 3 -4 minutes as it uses a inst CD.
Pls check if ur products is a modem or not.
If it is not a modem then u will need to get a modem as well seperately or get ur current piece replaced with a built in modem.
http://www.dlink.co.in/dlink/Products/Internetwk/dsl502t.htm is more about ur product. http://www.dlink.co.in/dlink/Products/pdfv...wk/DSL-502T.pdf are details.

Sudar

[OP]
Regulars
Jul 16, 2005
Hi BSNL_CMDThanks for replying.Till now i was under the impression that a router and a modem are same. Could you be kind enough to tell me how to find out whether it is a router or a modem.All i know is the brand and model printed on the box is Dlink DSL - 502 T Router. :( But it has 1 lan, 1 usb port , 1 ADSL slot and the power slot.

nandu_n

Jul 8, 2005
Modem and Router are different. Typically, a modem is used for establishing connection and a router is used for sharing the connection to multiple computers. Dlink has developed a combo product which servers as both modem and router. Visit www.dlink.com for details.

BSNL_CMD

Regular
Regulars
Jun 26, 2005
Exactlu as Nandu says, I really doubt if ur equipment is a modem as well though D Link does have a product which is a modem cum router ( may or may not be wifi depending on what u buy ).
I would suggest u to visit http://www.dlink.co.in instead of the international site given by our friend.

robert0909

Regulars
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by Sudar@Jul 16 2005, 01:33 PM
Ya i have given the username and password in the router. BTW is BSNL_CMD a user in this forum..?
[snapback]16547[/snapback]
[/quote]

You see this is no ordinary forum, we have many distinguished persons who are among the members and the BSNL_CMD is one of the leading luminaries in that. And may be in some more days this forum may become an elite club, a medium for the aristrocrats of world to disucss world affairs.

I hope you understood the purport!!! :lol: :D :lol: