Supreme Court bans Bharat Stage III Vehicle Sale/Registration from April 1

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Supreme Court bans registration, sale of BS-III cars from April; about a million vehicles to be hit

This is going to hurt a lot of automakers in the market. Government already was against it. Remains to be seen what they do now.

The Supreme Court banned on Wednesday the registration and sale of vehicles with the older BS-III emission norms after April 1, saying the health of millions was more important than commercial interests.
The ruling came on a plea by the Environment Pollution Control Authority. The order is expected to impact around 8 lakh BS-III compliant vehicles that are ready for sale. These cars -- two-wheelers and trucks -- are lying in various carmakers’ factories and showrooms across the country.
Automobile companies, except Bajaj, had opposed the EPCA’s plea, which demanded only BS-IV compliant vehicles should be sold in the market.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
lots of discount on bs3 vehicle today and tomorrow. i am guessing dealerships would be open till midnight till tomorrow. superbikes are getting massive discount. scooters are getting discount in the range of rs. 12-14k.

Citrus

Regulars
Dec 9, 2010
Sikkim
This was rather necessary. One one hand we like to tirelessly complain about poor quality of air and on the other, do nothing about it.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Now three more years before we reach the next level and it is enforced throughout the country (iirc). I can totally see industry demanding an extension and government giving in because oil companies would probably need to invest billions in upgrading their facilities and so on.

Unless the government enforce the removal of older vehicles after a certain time period, things are not going to improve. Since they cannot enforce pollution certification properly, something needs to be done for the millions of existing vehicles plying on the road.

ajgamer

Regulars
Dec 28, 2014
@Sushubh Which kind of Scooty is a good buy (Good performance and durability)?

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
i really have no idea. i went to buy activa one day. the service center people were so not interested in selling me a vehicle that i came back and never went back again.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
registration already takes more than a day right? as long as the vehicle is sold before march 31 11:59pm, it should be safe.

you only get temporary registration at the time of purchase afaik. actual registration can take much longer as people sometimes apply for premium numbers.

Reactions: ganesh177