• Views Views 1,160

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Aadhaar to be mandatory for driving licence - Times of India

"Aadhaar will be a single document which will be enough to establish the identity of the applicant. If anyone does not have it, then he/she has to submit several other documents. We are making the necessary changes and incorporating provisions to enable RTOs to record these details. All RTOs will have access to the central database of driving licences (known as Sarathi) to check whether the applicant has got any other driving licence issued anywhere in the country," a source said.

Which govt services don't need to have Aadhar card now?

The Supreme Court on Monday said that the government cannot make Aadhaar card mandatory for welfare schemes offered by it. On the other hand, it also said that the government cannot be stopped ‘from using aadhaar in other schemes like opening of bank accounts and filing of income tax’.

Cannot make Aadhaar mandatory for welfare schemes: Supreme Court

I have no idea what they are trying to say. Aadhaar cannot be made compulsory for welfare schemes. But government is free to require it for non welfare schemes.

this thread is from march and this week, this was making headlines again.

anyhow... i went with an uncle last week to help him in getting his license renewed. he is above 70 so i was expecting at least some kind of testing done before a new one is issued for him. nope.

all he needed was a doctor to sign and stamp on his application form. a doctor is supposed to be available in the premises but everyone we talked to told us that we would have to get it done on our own from an outside doctor.

we did not want to waste time. i mean even if we had find a doctor nearby, who knew if they would have accepted the application. so we just found an agent (he found us actually) and got it done within 15 minutes.

actual fees was around 700 bucks. agent took 1500 and everything was processed on priority. he bypassed the line and got the application processed. it was insane.

i mean it's sad that even for people above 70, forget a proper driving test, they are not even testing eyes. a doctor is just supposed to look at you to check your fitness level and give him approval.

of course, the license is only renewed for five years so he has to make this trip every five years.

i did however forget to check if they were accepting applications without aadhaar. agent asked for it. uncle had it. so this question never was raised. the form had a highlighted field for aadhaar. i guess you can get it renewed without aadhaar right now but it might take some argument with the lady on the counter.

my license comes up for renewal in 2022. aadhaar thing should be clear by that time. but it seems that i would have to go through the additional hassle of getting a noc from faridabad rto where my current license was issued. i doubt that even if aadhaar survives the supreme court and indeed becomes mandatory for license... it would help with the hassle of noc from the original rto.