MTNL Broadband is injecting ads on your computer pretending it's a feature

Jagat

ISP
MTNL
Sample ad from one of the later posts:

S6F1a8N.jpg

I have MTNL ADSL broadband in Delhi. Today I saw this popup on the side when I connected online (I removed my telephone number from the image):

After looking for the inserted code, I discovered that MTNL is inserting iframes inside the webpages!

The popup is being loaded from Get e-bill

(I changed the telephone number in the URL above) More scrips are inserted from MTNL address 203.94.243.40

The adphonso website belongs to an adversiting company and that is a big problem 🙁

Are you guys seeing this sort of popups too? If yes, do you think is it safe?

I think this way inserting codes inside webpages is not good for the privacy of users.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep!!
the same occurred to me in the morning and thats actually very bad for the privacy of any user

^^ I have both adblock plus and ghostery installed and it still appeared for me. I don't think the addons can do anything about forced redirection by the ISP. They are probably doing it only in Delhi for now.

I would hate it if they do it for Mumbai.
What happens if you dont use MTNL DNS?

Yes, adblock is not able to block it. I switched to Google DNS, but it makes no difference.
I blocked adphonso.com and 203.94.243.40 in avast! antivirus and hosts file (as @rajan explained). Then cleaned all browser cache using CCleaner. I haven't seen it since then.
MTNL should have either emailed or called consumers to ask about e-bill and paper-bill. This way of code-injection is usually done by malware. Even though it could be harmless, it is still invasion of privacy to inject your code in all the webpages we visit. They can easily monitor our web activities and even collect data.
For now, I am going to use Airtel 3G for online banking etc.

It happened everyday with me for 2 days. Not seen it after i blocked it.
This is the most disgusting method used by any company to make people opt for e-statements, MTNL surely has some thinking problems.

Saw it just now and am not surprised at all to find a thread here about it. Anyway this is not the first time MTNL is using such tactics. They sometimes redirect 404 pages to their own network at will.
Also this is what I got from site of Adphonso
The stunning new technique of advertising on the connected devices, delivers Rich Media Advertisements to potential customer through networks. The solution reads the Machine Details, Browser and OS information and Customer Behaviour along with location and delivers relevant impression. The network architecture is simple and is directly connected to the ISP and hence avoids the need to go to a publisher and buy expensive ad slots.
We are highly Targeted, Cost Effective and Result Oriented. Our Patented Technology is the best in the world and is deployed at many prestigious ISP's across the globe.

I have a @mtnl.net.in email id which I got with the broadband subscription which is only used for getting MTNL mails email alerts, that has now almost dried up but I only get emails from marketing.communications@digisol.com advertising their products. Considering that I never use this id for ANYTHING I surmise that its MTNL that has given/sold their database (might have even been stolen) to a private party.

Havnt seen this...... so seems to be limited to Delhi only......
Now it wont be a surprise.... if it pops up in Mumbai in a few days....