Add 0 Before Dialing Any Number (Airtel Landline/Broadband)? [HELP]

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 63558
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 18,074
D

Deleted member 63558

I am not able to dial any number without entering 0 before the number.

Like calling landlines (mtnl, airtel), mobile (airtel, voda, jio, idea).

What to do?

btw. it is safe to call even local numbers with zero right? i remember reading about how government is killing the whole concept of adding zero for outstation numbers. i guess nothing came out of it?

Centrex Facility is important?
Not when you have unlimited calling i guess. This happened recently with my landline as well and the reason given was local exchange software being upgraded to support vdsl. I found it to be a major annoyance and knocked off centrex and while i was at it, asked them to upgrade my connection to vfiber as well. Happy days!
@Sushubh Yeah it makes no difference adding 0 to local numbers. They will still be billed as local calls. Re the govt notification, it was implemented on airtel mobile a while back i think. I no longer need to add 0 before dialing outstation mobile nos.

Last edited:
Not when you have unlimited calling i guess. This happened recently with my landline as well and the reason given was local exchange software being upgraded to support vdsl. I found it to be a major annoyance and knocked off centrex and while i was at it, asked them to upgrade my connection to vfiber as well. Happy days!
@Sushubh Yeah it makes no difference adding 0 to local numbers. They will still be billed as local calls. Re the govt notification, it was implemented on airtel mobile a while back i think. I no longer need to add 0 before dialing outstation mobile nos.

So you have knocked off Centrex Facility and no longer need to dial 0?

They also told me that because of upgrading going at the exchange it is happening. (when I called my local area engg. He is shit and knows very little about his job.)

So it's nothing related to VDSL/VFIBER?

Also, I am not getting caller ID since this change (add zero) happened. Is this the reason?

I have mailed them last night but there is no automated reply or real reply over the same what to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's back to regular dial tone & dial plan after centrex deactivation. Mail response will be slow but it has to be sent from your registered mail ID with your connection details such as number with STD code and account number. They will only reply to confirm once it's been done which took almost 3 days. In my case it was related to vfiber upgrade and I got my modem/plan changed a few days after centrex deactivation.

Last edited:
Centrex is for last 4 digit extension dialing within a locality (similar to pbx) which is a free facility given by airtel and used to help cut landline bills in the past. But it's pretty much useless now that we have unlimited local + std calling available.

Okay. I have mailed the 121 as I said and I received reply that Centrex is disabled.

Case: When your exchange is upgraded to VDSL, they make changes to the dialing codes which needs 0 before any number.

If you disable the centrex, it will be fine and no need to dial 0 before numbers anymore.

The Caller ID thing is directly related to it. Some cordless phones aren't working with this centrex caused problem so after disabling centrex, my cordless is again showing Caller IDs perfectly.

Best example of Airtel centrex is at Nehru Place where all shopkeepers dial each other via 4digit no instead of complete landline no.
This used to be case 4-5years back. Don't know current prevalence.
Well my imported cordless cid starting working after vdsl/vfiber upgrade.

You can complaint directly on 121 and ask that you are unable to call any local no (don't tell them that you are able to after dialing 0).
They'll ask you all sort stupid questions before even reg-ing a complaint. Then also a person(so called engineer) would visit and check setup after that only complaint would be forwarded to backend switch team. Basically lot of arguing but you need to be firm as airtel landline team(not BB) hardly agree that any problem exists in their calling switch.

One month back I has problem calling just one particular landline no.
It was a heck of irritation to even talk to these tech noobs who think themselves more knowledgeable than us.
They were adamant to even agree that problem exists blaming my phone instrument or other party instrument or they using blocking service.

By forwarding the complaint to airtel on twitter. Give low rating on any feedback call you receive.

@igloo Okay. Thank you. So basically Centrex is not required for VDSL Upgrade right?

Just to confirm it.