Network Attacks!

• Thread starter Thread starter ronscores
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 6,541
ok, let me tell u this...i'm on Win2k box and neither do i use any firewall nor any virus protection...though i surf sensibly and keep my windows update with the MS patches... 🙂

That is one brave man !! 🙂

not really. if u limit urself to safe sites through a decent browser, the possibilities of getting infected are minimal 🙂

I edited that right at the time when u were replying, sushubh 😛 I find my computer always infected with some rubbish or the other inspite of browsing only "safe sites" and also inspite of having nod32 and mcafee f/w installed. Dont know where the hell they come from.

i started using a firewall only when i realised sify's lan was insecure. using airtel with firewall off has never been a problem as such. but then u can never be sure 🙂

Originally posted by cyberwiz@Jul 17 2005, 05:47 AM
That is one brave man !!
🙂
[snapback]16742[/snapback]
[/quote]

I would have to disagree. That is just the kind of computer half the worms are looking for. Without a firewall he's got ports open he doesn't know about. The only safe way to operate is off the net with a computer like that. Every day my firewalls report attacks from unprotected users/machines.

Patches are released AFTER a vulnerability is detected! :angry:

On the Microsoft Security At Home the very first suggestion is Use an Internet Firewall. While I prefer a hardware firewall at least consider something like ZoneAlarm, it's free for non-business use. You might be surprised at the attacks you're getting.

well, i even visit "those" sites without any probs...though i am quite choosy about which one to visit...and yes, i don't click on each and everything that appears in front of me...makes sense???

Originally posted by jack92129@Jul 17 2005, 06:54 PM
Patches are released AFTER a vulnerability is detected!  :angry:
[snapback]16763[/snapback]
[/quote]

how would u fix things when u wont know the problem?

Well iam the kinda person who likes to keep it safe. What's the harm in givin urself some added protection especially when its free ? U can also surf "those" sites with with a lot more ease 😛 ....... though some of them still manage to sneak thru.

Have win2k Even i dont run a firewall, & antivirus , am on a LAN.It depends on how you configure the system.Obviously the patches are released after a vulnerability, but not every vulnerability gets turned into a workable exploit available for script kiddies.But for a novice user, it is better to run a firewall until and unless he gets more knowledge regarding security and configuration.And if you have enough RAM 256 or greater, it is better to run a firewall, no matter how much security geek you are.

I'd say its important to use windows update as well. Since a lot of exploits come out after the patches are released. The patch details the vulnerability, working backwards its possible to write virus/worm that takes advantage of this. A lot easier than having to find them one self.

Originally posted by Sushubh@Jul 17 2005, 06:31 PM
i started using a firewall only when i realised sify's lan was insecure. using airtel with firewall off has never been a problem as such. but then u can never be sure 🙂
[snapback]16754[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hmm, I would say Airtel's network is not as secure as you think, Sushubh... There are lots of Airtel users who don't use firewalls or AV and the end result is that at one point I was getting one attack every 3 seconds without exaggeration (from machines on the Airtel Network) because these network aware worms were just bouncing from one machine to another...... thankfully i had Avast AV and was protected, but since then I have also been using Sygate..... I also e-mailed Airtel about this, but of course no reply.......

@coolbuddy_79: How are you sure you don't have spyware / viruses on your comp ??? Most of them hide themselves so well and work in the background virtually unnoticeable.... unless you are looking for them you may not find them.... for example, one fine day I found a nice little text file sitting ina random folder that was keylogging all my passwords and such... and I wouldn't have even guessed there was something there had I not accidentally found it !!

well its more about being a part of a lan where people can actually just watch your computer throuhg their network group. airtel guys would have to take a lot more efforts to get into my computer. 🙂

@vebmetal...i do have quite a bit of knowledge about spyware or adware...i almost can look at the task manager and tell if something is wrong with my system 🙄also, i do scan my PC with anti-spywares quite often, and especially if i feel something is wrong with it... 🙂also, i don't do much in my PC, other than downloading and watching movies 😉