Adding Wireless Capability

• Thread starter Thread starter Terminator
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 14,236
in the current setup, once you setup the DSL modem in bridge mode....it cannot be accessed from your pcs or laptop sittin behind a routerthats because in bridge mode its assigned a local ip 192.168. X. X and most routers do not have the capability to route a local IP out of their WAN port, where your modem is connected.if you want to access the dsl modem config, you will need to connect it directly to the PC or laptop using a cable.You can do one thing use the DSL modem in PPPOE mode and then configure the wireless router to get Dynamic IP from dsl modem. You can have access to both modem and router. Enable DHCP for both router and modem.In this mode, there is a problem of double NATing, increased latency n stuff. You have to chek whether you have a problem with p2p apps in this mode tho. I have not played around with this setup that much.

yes sounds logical!... thus if I get the two adsl connections to terminate on the wifi switch, I theoratically will get the cumulative bandwidth!I know sounds a little wiered, not a little network config cud ideally give me the speeds!..... the next probable situation would be to restrict the useage based on the amount of alloted gb's.... hmmmm intresting

Originally posted by neal@Jan 22 2006, 10:34 AM
Have you checked at ebay.in

here is a link  for a Linksys broadband wireless router for Rs. 2700.00

http://cgi.ebay.in/Linksys-Compact-Wireles...1QQcmdZViewItem
[snapback]40112[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi Neal,

Thanks for the link (pun intended)...I have bought it from ebay. I guess my questions will start once i get delivery of the same.

and hopefully i will find the doubts already resolved on these pages.

regards.

Originally posted by dearashwin@Sep 25 2005, 12:09 AM
i have done the wireless thingie in my house...its simple... heres how it goes..
1. the rouet Linksys acts as an access point to ur adsl... but ur adsl wont configure the individual pcs
2.assign ips to the computers in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range and also to the linksys as both the adsl n linksys have the same ip namely 192.168.1.1... so i suggest change linksys to 1.2 as linksys is easier than D-Link
3. put the def. gateway as 192.168.1.1 i.e the ip of the adsl router
4. dns server x- 203.94.227.70 y-203.94.243.70 x is primary if ur in mum , y if ur in delhi... enjoy
[snapback]26265[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi,

I followed the instructions on this page and also the setup CD and managed to get the wireless stuff done. And that was on Sat night. Now since yesterday, its just not working. I checked that the D-Link router has ip 192.168.1.1 whereas I have assigned 192.168.1.2 to the Linksys router. If I disconnect the ethernet cable which goes from Dlink to Linksys and plug it in my laptop, i can connect to the net but otherwise the wireless part seems to have died down...any useful suggestions or diagnostics ?? pls. help ..

regards
av2003

assuming that the complete setup did work once, ie, you were able to browse the web using the wireless connection to Linksys, I guess the problem should be either in getting the Wifi signal strength or windows or Wifi software/driver.

Did you try connect to the linksys thru a eth cable and browse? if that is working then .....

- Do a c:\ipconfig (on windows command prompt) to see your current IP allocated by Linksys and the default gateway assigned by linksys.

- Login to Wifi router (while on wired connect with linksys) and open the web admin at http://192.168.1.2/

- Check all the settings DHCP (what is the range allocated?), WiFi (Wlan name and broadcast), Wifi Security (wep key and the order of the key).

- Double check if the settings in the Windows is also the same as in linksys wifi config.

Also alternative
- Check if you laptop can see any Wifi network..... --- If it can see then see the error message ythat is shown
- Check if the Wireless Zero service is running if on XP
- Check if the drivers are OK for Wifi card (reinstall if u know or can!!! last option)

try and post back

QUOTE(dearashwin @ Sep 25 2005, 12:09 AM) [snapback]26265[/snapback]
i have done the wireless thingie in my house...its simple... heres how it goes..
1. the rouet Linksys acts as an access point to ur adsl... but ur adsl wont configure the individual pcs
2.assign ips to the computers in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range and also to the linksys as both the adsl n linksys have the same ip namely 192.168.1.1... so i suggest change linksys to 1.2 as linksys is easier than D-Link
3. put the def. gateway as 192.168.1.1 i.e the ip of the adsl router
4. dns server x- 203.94.227.70 y-203.94.243.70 x is primary if ur in mum , y if ur in delhi... enjoy
[/b]

Hi ,

I am having MTNL broadband .I have UTSTAR modem.I want to install Netgear WGR614 wireless router.

When i try to use configuration wizard it gives me error as Router not available. I also tried to bypass setup by going directly to routerlogin.net/basicsetting.htm .But when i try to save the setup it gives error .

I am not sure how to change IP of Netgear router .currently both modem and router default ip is 192.168.1.1
.Can anyone please give me detailed step by step process to setup a wireless router. Please aslo mention how to assign IP to a machine. I only want to setup wireless to access through my laptop.

Thanks,
Nikhil

Steps:

1. Connect WiFi router to PC by LAN cable (DO NOt connect it to ADSL router).
2. Change LAN IP address to something other then 192.168.1.x. To do that click on "LAN IP Setup".
4. You may need to disable and enable your LAN connection at this point.
3. Now connect WiFi router to ADSL modem as erll.
4. Run WiFi setup Wizard.

This should get you started.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you still face some prob.

QUOTE(netfreak @ May 7 2006, 09:28 PM) [snapback]50547[/snapback]
Steps:

1. Connect WiFi router to PC by LAN cable (DO NOt connect it to ADSL router).
2. Change LAN IP address to something other then 192.168.1.x. To do that click on "LAN IP Setup".
4. You may need to disable and enable your LAN connection at this point.
3. Now connect WiFi router to ADSL modem as erll.
4. Run WiFi setup Wizard.

This should get you started.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you still face some prob.
[/b]

Thanks....

I have one doubt ..if i wont connect my Modem to my Netgear router...then how i will reach to the page that u showd in your mail.

What i am doing currently is connecting cord from modem to wireless router and wifi router cord to laptop.

Please let me know i i am doin g it wrong.

Thanks
Nikhil

Nikhil, u need to connect the Netgear Router directly (not via modem) to ur laptop via lan cable. Then login to the router page. There u need to change the default ip addy of the router so that it doesn't conflict with ur modem. Once u do that (refer to screenshot) just repair ur connection. It will pick up the new ip. Then connect the modem to the netgear (ur present set-up) and run the wizard.

QUOTE(waterloo_sunset @ May 8 2006, 01:03 AM) [snapback]50574[/snapback]
Nikhil, u need to connect the Netgear Router directly (not via modem) to ur laptop via lan cable. Then login to the router page. There u need to change the default ip addy of the router so that it doesn't conflict with ur modem. Once u do that (refer to screenshot) just repair ur connection. It will pick up the new ip. Then connect the modem to the netgear (ur present set-up) and run the wizard.
[/b]

Thanks buddy...its working now.....u saved me...

but i forget to make my connection secured...how can i do it ..do i need to configure the router again.....if i make secured profile ....does it stop other frm using my wireless .....

Thanks
Nikhil

Ok, here are the steps to make the connection secure.1. Login to the Netgear.2. Go to Advanced>>Wireless3. Uncheck Enable SSID broadcast. Apply4. Click on Setup Access List5. Turn access control on. Add ur wireless cards mac id to the allow list. ApplyAdditionally you could do this.1. Go to Setup>>Wireless Settings. Here notedown the connection name(SSID) since you'll be needing it later.2. In security options, choose WPA-PSK3. Put in a passphrase.4. Put in the key lifetime as 15min. Apply.Ur net connection will stop working after this coz u have to configure ur laptop.5. Now if ur using a laptop with intel centrino, then go to Start>>Intel Pro Wireless. If u were using the windows client earlier, switch to this one.6. Make a new Profile. Put in the connection name (SSID). Click next.7. In the Network Security option, choose WPA Personal from the menu and TKIP from the Data Encryption Menu. Put in ur passphrase below. Save and click on Connect. U Should be back online now with a secure connection.

umm...waterloo, half baked knowledge is really dangerous. WPA-PSK is way more safer than WEP. WEP can be cracked in about a few seconds while its not so simple with WPA. With WPA, well, it is also crackable but it will take way more time and patience, knowledge, experience and expertise to do it...So the instructions that you have given to setup WPA-PSK are the more safer than WEP 🙂

LOL sweet! So my initial instincts were right (when i was setting up my own connection with no prior experience). Best of both worlds then. WPA-PSK needs minimal configuration too. The more complicated looking set-up for WEP fooled me. My bad, should have done some research.

is there any modem + inbuilt wi-fi router available so that I donot have to buy and connect 2 units?I plan to buy a D-Link modem for MTNL triband connectivity + a Dlink DI-724P+Wireless Cable/DSL Router With 802.11g Wireless LAN, 4-Port Switch & Parallel Print ServerAnyone using this combo?what working combos are people using ?I need to connect 3 notebooks in my house...can i restrict(by setting up) my wifi connectivity to 3 ?Thanks in advance.