• Thread starter Thread starter Deep Saha
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 5,495

Deep Saha

4G LTE GeeK
ISP
Alliance Broadband Services
What will be the import tax for a new mobile worth 30k from USA to India via DHL/Aramex/USPS

Please help me by telling me import duty %

Also is there any way to get low tax charged on the same?

personally, if you are ordering from an online store, i would recommend using a service like ishop to leave all the hassles to them.

Bro i ordered using other parcel forwarder, just tell me the custom charges for mobile phones worth 10k, and is there any way to get less custom by lowering item price or marking item as gift

You can escape duties by having it marked as gift. Otherwise, it's around 20-30% after the duty and cess.

The gift trick will not work if you're importing a cell phone. They will check the actual value and then calculate the duty.

Why? No one can receive cell phone as a gift?

I have received a gifted cell phone in the past and had to pay nothing for duty. A gift is a gift irrespective of what is in the box, unless someone decides to order twenty phones in a box and claim it was a gift.

Last edited:
Actually I have received many things as gift via local post / ems .. but in case of DHL or something similar like aramex, gift thing will work ? as my parcel forwarder can mark the item as gift and declare price as much I ask them , so will it get customs if I mark the item as GIFT and give 70$ approx as item price or maybe lower ...

won't they check the item in scanner and finding it as mobile won't they charge ?

I have received a gifted cell phone in the past and had to pay nothing for duty. A gift is a gift irrespective of what is in the box, unless someone decides to order twenty phones in a box and claim it was a gift.
You might be lucky.

Cell phones have less chance of passing thru customs without payment even if they're marked as gift. Sometimes , the custom officer doesn't agree with declared value and he'll himself apply market rate to the phone and ask you to pay the customs.

New iPhone, it was almost two years ago though. I received a feature phone that I ordered from AliExpress only a few days ago. Paid nothing in duty for that either.

Yeah, they do asses the price themselves if they feel that the item has been undervalued.

you guys ordered the item via local post i.e speedpost or EMS or USPS or DHL or other couriers ?

I mean to say those who brought phones earlier from outside india.