Wireless ADSL Router or Router + Modem?

Hi,

I am using MTNL Triband in Mumbai, and have the TrendChip HG520 ADSL Wireless Router provided by MTNL. The current router is running flawlessly, but I want to buy a new router for better range.

I saw these two on Amazon:

1. D-Link DSL-2730U Wireless N 150 ADSL2+ 4-Port Router
D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N 300 ADSL2 Router with Modem

One is a Wireless Router and the other is a Router with Modem. I'm not sure which one I need to replace the TrendChip router which I currently have. I'm tending to go with the Router + Modem, but not sure if the modem part is needed or will cause problems. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

You have a modem+router. It's a modem, with router functionality.
If you want, buy a standalone router (not modem, not modem + router) and connect it to your TrendChip modem to increase the range.

TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal WiFi Range Extender (White) - Buy TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal WiFi Range Extender (White) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in you can also get this to increase your range without replacing your current router.
btw they both are wireless router with modem.
If you buy either of those they will replace your current modem.
Modem part isn't necessary you can buy a simple good wireless router only and keep it near your current modem with LAN cable attached to your wireless router only.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Nilesh Parab
Only and Only Trendchip (Huawei) chipset based modems work correctly with MTNL's ADSL DSLAM.
I would recommend putting MTNL's modem in Bridge mode and Buy a separate Wifi ac Router like this one. TP-Link Archer C50.

Steps to put any modem into Bridge mode: (I am using TP-Link TD-8816 V8 Modem) but it is generic and should apply for any modem.
1. Change Modem's LAN IP address as 192.168.0.1
2. Make sure DHCP is enabled and IP range starts from 192.168.0.2
3. Save and reboot.
Check out the screenshot below.
GYqrz1N.png

4. After Reboot, log in to modem's new address 192.168.0.1 and go to it's internet settings.
5. VPI: 0 and VCI: 32
6. Change connection settings from PPPoE to Bridge mode as shown in screenshot below.
3Hdh7fQ.png

7. Save and that's it. Some modems might need a restart. Some don't.

To configure your Wifi Router to dial a PPPoE connection, Modem's output port must be connected to Router's input port with LAN cable. CAT5e or CAT6.
1. Make sure it's login IP is 192.168.1.1. Make sure LAN DHCP is set to On.
2. Go to WAN settings (Or internet settings)
3. Connection type: PPPoE
4. Enter your MTNL username and password.
5. MTU: 1492
6. DNS Server: Select to input manually and use these Google ones: 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8. Do not select automatic or else it will use MTNL's faulty DNS servers.

That's it. All done with bridge mode tutorial.
I prefer to put ADSL/VDSL modem in bridge mode because I have Asus RT-AC88U wifi router and it is better at serving wifi and LAN connections in my home. The modem can just act as a dumb non existent device.

PS: Some modems become unavailable once you put them in bridge mode. To only get back access to them is to factory reset them using a pin or reset button. TP-Link TD-8816/8817 have some trick up their sleeve and they are accessible even while under bridge mode once your internet connects.

Thanks v.much to all for your replies, especially @d5aqoëp for the detailed one. I'm thinking I might go for a Wifi Range Extender as suggested by @internetuser21, but I'll think over the other options as well. Thanks again everyone for your replies.