Airtel 4G speed capped to under 10 mbps again?

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 5,239
Well, I'll be damned 😀 Fingers crossed - my speed issue is resolved and stays this way!

I was resigned to the prospect of low speeds but just took a shot and sent a fresh email to 121@in.airtel.com CC address with a simple message saying I am getting slow speeds since 1-2 months where as before I was getting 30-40 mbps now I am getting only 5-8 mbps and to please restore my speed.

Got a callback from CC executive who initially started usual approach saying they will create a service ticket for engineer to visit my place to check - I told this guy politely that your local engineers have already checked my router and tower signal etc everything is normal at my side - I said it looks like your backend network engineers should check something (I didn't mention anything about 1800 vs 2300 band) he agreed and said he will create the ticket and assign it directly to backend networking team.

Now within a day or two my speeds are back up to 30-40 mbps and I didn't see any change in the details like tower ID number or signal strength so maybe in backend they were able to configure speed for me maybe force my device to connect to only 2300 band or something like that.

Further to that, I got a call another day later from someone saying he was from network team who said something about infrastructure work in progress and to wait for 5-6 days everything will become normal (note already my speed was back up to 30-40 mbps) so I thanked him and they closed the ticket.

Just to clarify, I am still getting under 10 mbps on fast.com (earlier it was fine) but when I do extensive speed tests on various locations most are fast (30-40 mbps) while a few are still slow (under 10 mbps) - even speedtest.googlefiber.net site (to Atlanta, USA) shows full speed for me.

I wonder if there is some international connectivity/routing issue between various cable systems which causes some places to be fast and others to be slow but at least "local" stuff like youtube, windows updates, torrents etc are fine now.

@yougotmehere where are you located? are you still facing slow speeds and maybe you can also try sending an email with similar message to CC address.

Last edited:
Another update:

So a few days ago, I again noticed slow speeds in the morning to various sites and speed tests. Casually sent a direct message on twitter to @ Airtel_Presence just to ask if any issue going on at their end. They quickly replied back and also called me to ask about the issue then they created a service ticket as well. Issue was resolved in a few hours but still facing slowness on some locations/speed tests like on fast.com. Got multiple call back followups to ask about the issue I was facing.

Since yesterday now it appears everything is back to as before (when I first signed up for the connection) - even fast.com is showing over 20 mbps speeds now, other places like Google fiber speed test showing 30+ mbps and downloading (mostly Linux packages) and torrents also going at "full speed" of 30-40 mbps.

The twitter team again messaged be asking for feedback (and called me too) to post it publicly - so I tweeted a "thank you" note and also posting here 🙂

Again, fingers-crossed, hope this issue is resolved and stays this way.