Formula-1 News and Updates

Lewis: We must hit back after break

Tuesday, 12 August 2008 12:45

Lewis Hamilton believes Ferrari’s surprisingly strong Hungaroring pace gave McLaren a timely warning that there must be no let up in its work over the current summer break.

The Woking squad looked set to consolidate a recent apparent advantage over its Italian rival at the last round after dominating practice and qualifying – but would have been beaten by Felipe Massa had the Brazilian’s engine not failed three laps from victory.

And although this gifted the second McLaren of Heikki Kovalainen victory and allowed Hamilton to increase his title advantage by a point to five despite a mid-race puncture, the Briton insists the team should learn from the let-off.
Lewis: We must hit back after break - F1 | ITV Sport

A1GP - Rule changes ahead of new season
Extra pits stops and points allocation changes
11/08/08

The pressure will be even greater for the A1GP World Cup of Motorsport national teams when they go to Mugello, Italy for the start of season four in September.

An extra mandatory pit stop is among the changes to the series’ Sporting Regulations planned to make the racing even more exciting with the extra stop having to be taken in the A1GP Sprint Race between laps four and eight.

"“We never stop looking for ways of improving the action on the track," stated series Chairman Tony Teixeira. "The two pit stops in the Feature Race have proved to be the really high pressure points of the events. We felt an additional one would not only add another variable into the Sprint Race mix, but also give the crews another opportunity to display their team work."

"When we sat down to discuss ways of improving the series from every viewpoint this was a popular addition. However, we have also made other changes that will give the teams greater flexibility in certain areas,” he added.

The unique qualifying format has also proved very popular with the spectators and to increase the drama and tension each of the four sessions have now been reduced from 15 to ten minutes with the same five minute break between each.

Here the added pressure is on the drivers, as the Sprint Race grid is determined from each driver’s best time taken from sessions one and two and the Feature Race grid from sessions three and four.

Nations can and do use the Friday to try out young or less experienced drivers in the two Rookie and Developing Nation Sessions. This popular addition will continue, but now there will be no age limit and the gap between the two 30 minute sessions has increased from five to 20 minutes.

The duration of the Sprint Race, with its rolling start, has also been increased from 19 to 24 minutes plus one lap, while the Feature Race, from a standing start, remains at 69 minutes plus one lap. However, now the points’ allocation for the shorter race has also been reduced with them only going to the top eight on the scale of 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. The Feature Race remains the same with the top ten receiving points on the scale of 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

F1 : A1GP - Rule changes ahead of new season - A1 - F1-Live.com

The advantage goes to Hamilton
Too late to appoint Ferrari no.1 - Berger
14/08/08

Gerhard Berger, who at the beginning of the season tipped reigning champion Kimi Raikkonen to defend his title, has now changed his mind.

"Now I would put my bets on Lewis Hamilton," :thumbsup:the Austrian former Grand Prix winner, who co-owns the Toro Rosso team, told Germany's Sport Bild magazine.

Berger points not only to Raikkonen's recent struggle with his Ferrari over a qualifying lap, but also rumours that the Finn is battling with waning motivation.

"I must admit, he has disappointed me," Berger explained. "I don't think he has enough now to beat Hamilton. 😛
"

Berger, a Ferrari driver over two tenures in the 80s and again in the 90s, does not even think Raikkonen would benefit from the advice of former team boss Cesare Fiorio, who believes Maranello's current chiefs should appoint a number one driver for the remaining races of the season.

"You have to specify the hierarchy from the beginning of the season, not in the middle," he said.

Berger believes Hamilton, clearly the prominent driver at McLaren at the moment, has an advantage also for this reason.

F1 : Too late to appoint Ferrari no.1 - Berger - Berger - F1-Live.com

BMW needs Alonso to replace Heidfeld - Stuck
Securing a long-term deal is a must
13/08/08

BMW Sauber should step up its efforts to replace Nick Heidfeld with former double World Champion Fernando Alonso in 2009.

That is the opinion of Hans-Joachim Stuck, a famous German driver who contested Grand Prix in the 70s and now heads up Volkswagen's racing division.

Stuck, who prior to his VW appointment was long associated with BMW, believes the German marque should strive for a long-term contract with Alonso to partner Robert Kubica.

"It's nothing against Nick, but unlike Kubica he is not a driver who can win a World Championship," Stuck plainly told Sport Bild.

Heidfeld, the 31-year-old veteran with nearly 150 Grand Prix to his name, has struggled alongside Kubica with the F1.08 car this year.

Stuck said Alonso is the ideal alternative.

"If you can secure an Alonso for the long term, then you must," he insisted.

F1 : BMW needs Alonso to replace Heidfeld - Stuck - BMW - F1-Live.com

Ferrari critical of Bridgestone tyre selections
Choice of compounds could be better
13/08/08

Ferrari has offered mild criticism about sole tyre supplier Bridgestone's selection of compounds for races.

According to the Italian team's technical boss Aldo Costa, in interview with Auto Motor und Sport, the selection of two tyre compounds "to us seems too hard for some circuits."

Bridgestone, the Japanese tyre manufacturer, announced recently its selection of tyre compounds for the remaining Grand Prix in 2008.

The softest tyres available will be on offer in Singapore, while at Fuji the compounds will be one step harder.

Hard and medium tyres will be used in China, and for the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix, Bridgestone has elected to go one step harder for 2008 compared with last year.

Bridgestone chief Hirohide Hamashima defends the change.

"This race can be very hot, as we saw last year, and our data from the thrilling final race of last season showed us that this change would be beneficial for the teams," he said.

Renault's engineering boss Pat Symonds is backing Ferrari's stance.

"The selection for Hockenheim was definitely too hard," he said. "Also for Spa and Monza a step further on the soft side would be sufficient."

F1 : Ferrari critical of Bridgestone tyre selections - FERRARI - F1-Live.com

Bridgestone goes soft for Singapore

Tuesday, 12 August 2008 10:42

Bridgestone has announced it will take the softest tyres in its four-compound range to the inaugural Singapore Grand Prix next month.

The soft and super-soft rubber will be the tyres available to teams for Formula 1’s first night-time grand prix on roads around the Marina Bay area.

In its confirmation of its plans for the season’s final four rounds, F1’s tyre supplier also said it has opted to make a change to its compounds for the season-finale in Brazil in November, with medium and soft tyres to be used as opposed to last year’s soft and super-soft.

The other two flyaway events, the Japanese and Chinese Grands Prix, will feature the same compounds used at their respective races in 2007.

http://sam.itv.com/IMPCNT/ccid=12329/acc_random=8339523105/SITE=ITV/AREA=SPORT.FORMULA1.NEWS/POSITION=1/AAMSZ=300x250/RS=K0771910003.K0771910012.K0771910014.K0771910018.K0771910034.K0771910037.K0771910039.K0771910045.K0771910046.K0771910063.K0771910064.K0771910065.K0771910066.K0771910067.K0771910075./SEG=SPORT.FORMULA1/pageid=7838266644

Bridgestone’s director of tyre development Hirohide Hamashima explained the Japanese firm’s decisions, saying: “This will be the first time for Formula 1 in Singapore and we will bring the soft and super soft compounds for this interesting new street course.

“High grip will be required at this track which is the primary reason for our choice.

“For Brazil we have moved a step harder in our allocation range.

“This race can be very hot, as we saw last year, and our data from the thrilling final race of last season showed us that this change would be beneficial for the teams."

Tyre compounds for remaining 2008 races

Europe (Valencia) – super-soft, soft
Belgium – medium, hard
Italy – medium, hard
Singapore – super-soft, soft
Japan – soft, medium
China – medium, hard
Brazil – soft, medium
Bridgestone goes soft for Singapore - F1 | ITV Sport

Thanks asdfgf for providing the information.........

Can some one tell me in asdfgf's posted article which team will benefit the most by the tyre compound selection for the forthcoming race whether McLaren will benefit the most or the Ferrari's

This is really an interesting news but i still think that Alonso's first preference would be Ferrari and then it will be BMW. I would be happy if he sits in BMW car for next season and if he there in BMW for long term then i am sure one day BMW will become a race winning car with Alonso's experiece and knowledge...... I think good time has started for Alonso now ...........:thumbsup:

Still the game is not over..........buddy wait for another 2 races atleast ..........anything is possible in sports

The way Alonso is driving Renault, i think he can bring BMW to top. but i think it is more with Piquet not driving upto the mark.

Everyone under-rates Massa 🙁, doesnt even consider him. But he has begun to prove himself now. He is consistently beating Kimi now.

This year amish i dont know i started like massa and i have started to bet on him for ferrari's rather than kimi..........i feel this year he is man in form for ferrari's. One more thing he is always good at qualifying and he is better than kimi in qualifying too. This year he proved that he is better than kimi in races too especially i cant still forget when he overtook people in one of the races and also who can forget about last race overtake move by massa over hamilton(pay back hockenheim).......:thumbsup:. I still feel massa can win the champioship for this year but if he comes in form from next races anything is possible. As far as this year is concerned Massa has done good job than kimi :thumbsup:

I think piquet has also improved in the past 2 races.......:thumbsup:If Alonso switches to BWM for longterm goal then i think BMW will be very competitive car from 2010 season........I believe that alonso can bring glory to BMW......:thumbsup:

Lewis Hamilton is surely gonna win this years championship. He s da man :dance:. No one can beat him. He is still the favorite. Massa on the other hand is far better than Kimi. I think Kimi is heading for Retirement at the end of this year. And hopefully we can see Alonso filling his place during next year :thumbsup: Game On 😀