Received telecom offer from HDFC for credit card online

• Thread starter Thread starter dejan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 2,997
??? No Income proof was asked from me. Maybe the reason is SBI offered me a credit card instead of me approaching them or maybe they knew about my financial situation since my main bank account is with them.

ICICI would not give me a credit card even though I had an account with them for 15 years. They asked me to provide copies of three years of income tax returns.
StanChart is the only card I have. I have it since 2008. But getting it back then was a hassle. The sales agent basically got me to lie on the application to improve the chances of approval. I have been using this card since then. Making payments on time. I do not remember my original limit but today it has a limit of 191000. Bank keeps on offering me slightly better limit almost 2 times every year.
My savings account these days is in Yes Bank. I applied for their credit card a month ago after they called me up and told me that I was pre-approved for it. A month has passed but my application is on hold because again, the salesperson misrepresented some information on the form to improve chances for approval. Which conflicted during the visit of their verification guy. I am kind of annoyed that a guy arrived at my place to look at my 'office' because I had mentioned that I had an office at my residence in the application. I had told the sale guy that I work from home. I have a PC in the basement which is where I do most of my work. It's not exactly an office because well... It's just a basement with a computer in it lol. Now they tell me that my application is on hold because information on application did not match the update submitted by their verification guy. All this when I have an account with them for many years now and I was 'pre-approved' for this card.

If the application is eventually cancelled, I plan to apply for the HDFC card from Snapdeal. I do not even need a high limit. I just need a backup card for when StanChart does not work. For example, they have blocked payments to many international vendors because of security purposes. One of them is Dreamhost to whom I have to make a monthly payment. I am forced to get a friend to pay for server using his card as a result.

Last edited:
HDFC's debit card has worked on every single international merchant I've tried. You could open an account there. Also, I see that Dreamhost accepts PayPal. Maybe you could try that.

I kind of do not want to create a PayPal account. :winkytongue:

ooh. it appears that i can pay using paypal without creating an account. would check it out on 17th when my next payment is due 😀

did a test payment and it worked. the only shortcoming i can imagine is that it would cost me slightly more compared to directly paying using my card and refunds probably would not work. but good enough!

lol. should have tested that option last month 😀

company account or regular savings account? 🙂