• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 7,407
Status
Not open for further replies.

crzyg33k

ISP
BSNL
I have got this IPTV connection enabled a few days back, and since then I have been struggling to find a means to get rid of this long ethernet cable from my ADSL modem. My PC and phone connection is in one room, while my TV is on the other. So, quite obviously I was tempted to try out a wireless way of connecting the STB to the ADSL modem/router, since we are all talking IP here. So, I got a D-Link AP and configured it as a Wireless client and connected to the STB. Well after a lot of trial and error and network level debugging I managed to get the STB function and connect properly, but I see a lot of pixelation on the normal channels, which I guess is due to lack of enough bandwidth over the Wireless channel. Although I ideally have 54mbps over the Wireless link, and IPTV signal will use a max of 4mbps, I cannot explain the reason for this drop in bandwidth. Strangely though I am able to see the VOD channels without any flicker. I am just wondering if anybody else in this forum has tried something similar, and got some luck. Thx.--

Firstly, yes i had used rather i should say i had worked in video streaming in wireless n/w scenarios and by that experience i can say tht one important reason for this may be wireless interference as set top box and modem are in different rooms, interference with other home appliances makes things worst.Just once try to test by keeping set top box bit closer to wireless router or access point.mitesh

okieplz tell me, ur set top box has built in wireless card.i mean how u r configuring ur stb with wireless router or access point.reply me now plz

Well fortunately in my place the connection is pretty good, and with ethernet cable connected the quality of reception is as good as DTH. I tried capturing multicast streams on my Laptop through it's built-in WiFi interface, and even then the quality was quite good. But, the same wasn't true when I connected the STB to a Wireless client and tried to connect to the Wireless router of the ADSL modem. So, I am still trying to debug whether the problem is with the (wireless) connectivity issues like speed, noise on line etc. or is it something to do with trying to connect the STB wirelessly.

Me too wondering whether there are any specific issues in streaming multicast over wifi link, because in my case also when I switch from ethernet to wifi, the quality degrades from bad to ugly!

May be our concerns are right, as mentioned this article here:
Noise Free Wi-Fi IPTV

The main difference to be noted between multicast (IPTV) and usual data transfer is that in case of multicast, the streaming host does not bother about acknowledgment, so CRC errors may have a completely different (much worser) consequences as compared to normal network traffic. (??)

How to connect wireless router to my STB?
🙄
i think it is not possible.
@crzyg33k
u get a bw of 4 mbps only for iptv.54 mbps that u are talking about is the max bw handling capacity of the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.