Help for a sify user in Linux.

• Thread starter Thread starter abhay
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 4,536

abhay

Hi,Nice to see a Sify Broadband forum running to help people 🙂My problem is that I am Sify user on Linux and as we all know they have only a console based client for this OS. I called the customer care and asked as to how I can see session details and account details so that I can "Hold" or "Pipeline" my packages but they don't know how to do it.I didn't expect anything different from them anyways but I know that some of you guys can tell me, so here are my queries.1) How to see the session details and account details on Linux?2) How to trouble shoot?3) While searching in forums I found that by going to SAM Server I can know my session details but how do I know which SAM server I am using.I will be really greatful if some of u people can help.TIARegards,Abhay

The windows client stores its data in an ini file if the linux client doesn't do something similar just packet sniff while running the client and get the sam server ip from there.Btw- If you call customercare they will hold/pipline products for you. Which distro are you using?

Sify has made the official login client for red hat distro or fedora 3 distro. It also works well with SUSE 9.2 and above but with little error in the install script , but still manages to connect. But to use it with debian versions-distro it is a bit difficult as u need to use a java client (actually made for mac) for a smooth login. There is a limited details in linux version of the clients. May be sify does not know Linux? or their employees have no clue how to install it or make it. It is sify so u have to bear with that. And when a os is free ISP have to gear up to support it and make it user friendly. I have ubuntu but helpless about the sify installations. CC have no clue what is Ubuntu!! They are our leading ISP who have no clue of diffrent OS available in market.

Sify's client for linux is a general one made for GNU/Linux and it doesn't matter which distribution you use it on, Red Hat, Suse or Debian. I have installed it on Knoppix, a debian based distro and its installation was the smoothest part of using it.

It is basically made of a bash script which would execute on any distro having its default shell as bash which most modern distros have, and a GNU/Linux executable file both of which would work uniformly across all Linux distributions 🙂

You can also try an alternative sify client for linux which is hosted here.

The linux client is made for any distro but if you see it properly it has the paths of startup scripts made for red hat/fedora. Hence when u install it in suse u shall get the path error in the startup and start sifyd manually and then sifyconnect. In redhat you just say sifyconnect and u are on when u supply login and password. If the initial scripts are not run ...in this case suse... u have to log in as root to start sify or else sifyd shall not work.

i used easysify under wine once and it worked .. but it was broken in next try 😛 .. Sify's java client is pretty good to use too .. Supersify do not work at all in wineconsole 🙁 .

Sify's client for linux is a general one made for GNU/Linux and it doesn't matter which distribution you use it on[/b]

Well, although that is correct, the install script will work successfuly on only System V style distro's, as it tries to copy the daemon initialisation script to the rc?.d directories. You can still manually put sifyd and sifyconnect in your path and start sifyd through an initialisation script for your distro.

You can use the MAC client as a GUI client in *nix if you have the java runtimes installed.

But still a good and complete client for linux is sorely missed, I have noticed sifyd taking about 50% processing power at times.

Thanx to everyone who replied 🙂I found the SAM Server my self and can now see the session details buy I still want to find out the IP address that "troubleshoot" tries to ping.Please help me on this front.

Yeah, I tried out the install on a SuSE LiveCD and found that the install script doesn't find the correct path to install the startup script because the path for startup scripts is a slight bit different on SuSE 🙂

Originally posted by abhay@Jul 9 2005, 11:40 PM
Thanx to everyone who replied 🙂

I found the SAM Server my self and can now see the session details buy I still want to find out the IP address that "troubleshoot" tries to ping.
Please help me on this front.
[snapback]15576[/snapback]
[/quote]

first it tries to ping your gateway and then it tries to reach sam serrver ..

If it cant reach gateway then its cto problem (mostly) and if it cant reach sam server then its sify problem

After the local computer and the local gateway, It probably will try to ping the IP 202.144.65.70, which is the IP the client firsts connects to and recieves info about what to do next.However, I am unable to ping that IP, so perhaps normal pings are blocked at some level. http'ing to 202.144.65.70:8090 does verify the connection though.

i think pings are blocked directly at gateway now so u cant ping anyone outside ur subnet 🙁

I used to be able to ping upto one node after my gateway under my previous CTO. It used to be of the form 192.168.100.1.But no pings now beyond the gateway under the new CTO.

"System V style distro's"...no duh, it is surprising that Sify even knows about SVR4.Do you really think they wud know about BSD style OSes?Hahaha.Sify probably does not even know that DOS is (was) an OS.Sify customer care rep (imaginary - just like their customer care!) "What is Unix sir? Is it a new linux version?"PS, am no longer able to ping ANY client on the n/w except the gateway.... or maybe the rest of the world just does not use Sify anymore.