Paytm Payment using Code

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Saw a new way to make a payment using Paytm at Bata today. Mother Dairy uses qr code that you have to scan. 98.4 sends you a sms with otp. Bata uses a different mechanism that is quite confusing to be honest. The guy entered my mobile number in his payment system. He told me that I would need to provide him with a code. I waited for sms like 98.4. Nothing. I checked the payment requested section. Nothing. The guy told me that I need to show him the code in the SHOW CODE section of the app. This section shows a number and a bar code that changes every minute. Cool. He entered the number at his end and payment was made. I had absolutely no control over how much money was going to be deducted. I don't think I missed anything. No sms before the payment was made. I only got a confirmation. Got a 10% cashback from Paytm so that's nice.

Ye 98.4 kya hai 😀

Oh. This is nothing new. Freecharge had this since long time. Basically, your Paytm account has an bar code that changes every 2 mins or 5 mins or the amount preset by the app. When you have to pay something, the shop guy enters your number on his PoS and it checks the bar code your phone displays to see if the transaction is genuine. When the bar code is successfully scanned, paytm directly sends money to the shop guy.

This is useful when there's no internet connection in your phone since the bar code changes even without the app connected to the internet. Freechagre had 4 digit pin instead of bar code but it too works in same way.

Ye 98.4 kya hai 😀
I thought its an FM radio station name :x

offline support makes sense. i was just baffled by the fact that i have no control over the amount that would be charged on providing the number. i guess adding a feature for the user to enter a number and generating an otp for that on the app (this could easily be done offline) would have complicated the process too much.

also... this mode of payment makes more sense at places mother dairy outlets where amount is low and a wider variety of people are likely to visit on a regular basis. but i guess that would have made the process more complicated for operators of mother dairy and they are unlikely to be very cooperative if you increased their workload.

i would have also preferred if Paytm provided an option to require fingerprint/pin to start the app 😛 i mean it is super convenient right now. but it is completely open for anyone to make payment or transfer funds if someone gets his hands on my phone. sure the phone does have a lock at OS level so there's that.

miui has per app fingeprint lock support :3 many other apps also support this feature I think.

frankly I think even OTP takes too much time at PoS. This offline method is far more convenient. Used it at McD and it was business as usual.

digital wallets should have internal feature. at least as an option. PhonePe has a login code for example. but it only asks for it if you logout.

i find qr code best. i have the complete control over the process. i paid using it to buy kulche yesterday. the shopkeeper was busy dealing with another customer. i showed him the screen after i paid. he nodded. entire transaction happened without me even talking to the guy. he was like, aapne pay kar bhi diya? lol.

Used it at McD and it was business as usual.

my main issue was that i have zero control over the actual amount that would be charged. otp comes through sms which mentions the amount.

this feels like i give my wallet to the shopkeeper and he takes out the money that he needs.

Another thing about QR codes. I tried to pay through cinepolis counter but the code was deep inside the glass barrier. So I had to give my phone to that ticket guy so that he can scan the code. I asked him why not paste one code outside and he said barely 1 in 100 uses it to pay for tickets 🙂 cashless economy my ass

OT:
LOL 98.4 degree! The normal body temperature!

I wonder how does one issue cheque ?

Also wonder if Government system allows "degree" symbol because its a special character.

Probably 98.4 is just brand name!

Wikipedia says that previously it was 98.6 and now new study says 98.2!!

So may be they chose average! 98.4!! 😀

i would have also preferred if Paytm provided an option to require fingerprint/pin to start the app 😛 i mean it is super convenient right now. but it is completely open for anyone to make payment or transfer funds if someone gets his hands on my phone. sure the phone does have a lock at OS level so there's that.

It is available now. You can use the existing security lock for Paytm but only for Pay and Passbook sections.

Now add an App password to your Paytm Wallet

Last edited:
^ This option was added in last update. if your phone doens't support fingerprint, you can use existing security like PIN/pattern