Cherrinet - 200 Mbps - 2 TB - Chennai (Review)

• Thread starter Thread starter warpspeed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 415
  • Views Views 135,007
Edit: No longer using the connection.

Cherrinet Fiber Broadband Review

Plans:

SoH3io2.webp

My Plan: Basic 200 Mbps (symmetric) 2 TB. It is prepaid and the rental is Rs. 1768 per month including taxes. They also offer 6 months+1 free and 12 months+2 free if you're looking for longer validity. Static IP is available at Rs. 5000 a year.

Got my connection up and running on the same day I paid. The fiber cable terminates at your premises on a ZTE ONU. Connection is reliable and the speeds are consistent.

Speedtest:
7129453778.png

Singapore:
7129456078.png

Netherlands:
7129459586.png

NYC (USA):
7129462684.png

DSL Reports:
30763175.png

Fast.com:
7eTdP95.webp

Torrent:
IhRT2LZ.webp

Browser download speed:
pzXrJ7e.webp

Steam (in Megabits):

uCKJYh7.webp

Conclusion:
I'm very satisfied with my Cherrinet connection. I highly recommend them if you are thinking about getting a connection. I don't suggest going for the longer validity plans given they update them frequently. You won't be able to change it till the subscription ends. Also make sure they put you on Airtel Transit. My speeds were all over the place when I was on Tata.

Pros:
  • Great speeds.
  • Less Downtimes.
Cons:
  • Overhead cabling.
  • You don't have the option to change your plan till it's validity expires.
  • Their Tata transit sucks to the core.

Let me know in the comments if you want me to test anything.

Edit: Updated on 30/12/16
Edit 2 (12/02/17): Not a single downtime since my last edit. Added fast.com speedtest result.
Edit 3 (07/04/17): Didn't face any downtime since Vardah.
Edit 4 (04/05/17): Added DSLReport speedtest. Yet to face any downtime.
Edit 5 (19/08/17): Cherri upgraded my plan to unlimited and the connection is still going strong. Added updated plans.
Edit 6 (11/03/18): Faced two downtimes which were quickly resolved. Updated speed test results.
Edit 7 (04/05/18): They don't offer unlimited anymore.
Final Edit (28/05/19): Cancelled the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoke to Cherri CC n to local cherrinet official, still no info about plan upgrade process. Meanwhile, a LCO was wiring optic cables, and he shared the plan details.

20170805_165308.jpg

Seems close to ACT's.. If the plan upgrade isnt happening in the next few days, I'm gone... Though, I dont wanna do that.. Good to have another ISP as backup in surroundings...

^^any idea from whom they are buying the bandwidth from? pity ACT and other biggies don't have these 'unlimited plans'.

Unlimited but with a hidden FUP, probably. I will be downgrading mine to basic 200 Mbps by the end of this month. I hope it is unlimited as they claim.

Edit: Confirmed with CC. The unlimited plans are applicable only for residential users and it is truly unlimited. Cherri just responded to ACT's upgrades with all guns blazing 😀

Last edited:
Just got this from my neighborhood sales guy. Not seeing this on their site though. Also he wasn't clear why its unlimited for us but had limits for SME plans.

Whatteee Woooowwww!! Cherri proved that it is not a 'SORI'!!!!
Any idea @manojrk , from wen are they gonna apply these plans?

Edit: Two days to reflect on selfcare portal, CC informed...
Im on 1099 plan, not sure how it gonna work for me though... To complicate further, I have paid for six months in advance. CC doesnt have any info regarding my scenario..

Last edited:
@trammat I was told the same. I would advice you to wait for two days and see what they have for you. Most likely it will be 150 Mbps till your current plan expires and if you want to go for the same again, you would have to pay 1299 plus GST instead.

Update: They are officially launching new plans on 15th and existing customers will get the updated plans by 16th.

Both the NOC staff and my neighborhood sales guys claimed I can use my connection to the fullest and speeds will never drop during the month but only residential users can apply for it.

200 Mbps, truly unlimited for just Rs. 1499. Can't wait 😀

Great! Finally INDEPENDENCE from 'Fair Usage Policy' for chennai.. I feel, significant credit should go to hathway for bringing in 1000gb plans with aggressive marketing with a top star, making all the existing ISPs to think beyond the usual norms. Just wondering how BSNL(DSL) n airtel(fake fiber) gonna survive in this fiber revolution without any drastic plans in the immediate sight for them. To create further trouble to their businesses, Cherri is significantly expanding in tier 2-cities in TN. Had been BSNL customer for more than 15 years before opting to cherri, I can only feel pity for this gov enterprise decline.

TBH these big companies doesn't really care about their last mile users. Enterprise (STM's/Leased lines) and wholesale bandwidth is where the money's at. Cherrinet's major transit provider is Airtel and Airtel leases dark fiber from BSNL, so one way or another, they are making up for their last mile losses 😉

Ya.. But what baffling me is that in spite of having the right infrastructure, only regional ISPs are trying to push the game for end-users. As a pan-india player, BSNL and Airtel failed all these years, going behind the profit and looting people without any care for quality improvements. To add a point, these guys failed to give an unlimited plan even for 2mbps a year back.. Now, just to save face, they are throwing away offers... Even today, BSNL guys are not giving individual fiber connection. Confidently, we can say, if there aren't ACT, cherri n excitel, we wouldn't we crossing anywhere beyond 8 or 16mbps..

Guess Cherri
Just got this from my neighborhood sales guy. Not seeing this on their site though. Also he wasn't clear why its unlimited for us but had limits for SME plans.
Lite plan doesn't make any sense 😉

With this guess Chennai just edged past Hyd, hope tier 2 cities also get a upgrade.

Lite plan is a decoy. It is there to make sure we go for the 999 plan and above 😀

There are plenty of people for whom 40Mbps limited to 80GB @ Rs.799 is sufficient and also a cheaper option that 100Meg unlimited @ Rs.999. That is 200 bucks a month saving!

^ It also makes the unlimited plans to look more appealing 😛

Anyone noticed improved speeds on fast.com ? My cherrinet is on Airtel backend and since Airtel peers with Netflix locally I'm getting full speeds now.

j0VMQDl.png