Cherrinet - 200 Mbps - 2 TB - Chennai (Review)

• Thread starter Thread starter warpspeed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 415
  • Views Views 135,241
Edit: No longer using the connection.

Cherrinet Fiber Broadband Review

Plans:

SoH3io2.webp

My Plan: Basic 200 Mbps (symmetric) 2 TB. It is prepaid and the rental is Rs. 1768 per month including taxes. They also offer 6 months+1 free and 12 months+2 free if you're looking for longer validity. Static IP is available at Rs. 5000 a year.

Got my connection up and running on the same day I paid. The fiber cable terminates at your premises on a ZTE ONU. Connection is reliable and the speeds are consistent.

Speedtest:
7129453778.png

Singapore:
7129456078.png

Netherlands:
7129459586.png

NYC (USA):
7129462684.png

DSL Reports:
30763175.png

Fast.com:
7eTdP95.webp

Torrent:
IhRT2LZ.webp

Browser download speed:
pzXrJ7e.webp

Steam (in Megabits):

uCKJYh7.webp

Conclusion:
I'm very satisfied with my Cherrinet connection. I highly recommend them if you are thinking about getting a connection. I don't suggest going for the longer validity plans given they update them frequently. You won't be able to change it till the subscription ends. Also make sure they put you on Airtel Transit. My speeds were all over the place when I was on Tata.

Pros:
  • Great speeds.
  • Less Downtimes.
Cons:
  • Overhead cabling.
  • You don't have the option to change your plan till it's validity expires.
  • Their Tata transit sucks to the core.

Let me know in the comments if you want me to test anything.

Edit: Updated on 30/12/16
Edit 2 (12/02/17): Not a single downtime since my last edit. Added fast.com speedtest result.
Edit 3 (07/04/17): Didn't face any downtime since Vardah.
Edit 4 (04/05/17): Added DSLReport speedtest. Yet to face any downtime.
Edit 5 (19/08/17): Cherri upgraded my plan to unlimited and the connection is still going strong. Added updated plans.
Edit 6 (11/03/18): Faced two downtimes which were quickly resolved. Updated speed test results.
Edit 7 (04/05/18): They don't offer unlimited anymore.
Final Edit (28/05/19): Cancelled the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
No change in speeds here. Still on 150 Mbps.

New plans are now visible on website. NOC guys said existing customers will be getting the new speeds in two or three days.

Cherrinet

eNbm7g.png

The ₹1499 and ₹1999 plans at 200 Mbps are definitely VFM. Though you could eat the FUP in few hours lol.

Last edited:
Speeds are updated for me. They have reset my FUP as well 😀

250 Mbps is quite a jump from 16 Mbps I had few months back. Thanks to ACT Fibernet. Got to give credit where credit is due.

6195023777.png

What's the general download speed on things like torrents and direct http downloads from various places? Do you really get 250 mbps everywhere? Anyways this is just super! Even if you get 1/3rd the speeds (around 100 mbps also) it is pretty great 🙂

Thanks guys, I will post more results later 🙂

Just tested download speed with steam, getting ~230 Mbps average.

M0t0SF.png

I just got this SMS from Cherrinet!!!! Thank you being part of the Cherrinet family. As a gesture of our gratitude, We have upgraded you from 50 Mbps, 90GB Plan to 100 Mbps; 150GB @ NO EXTRA COST

^ According to their website you should have gotten 150 Mbps with Starter plus.

What's the general download speed on things like torrents and direct http downloads from various places? Do you really get 250 mbps everywhere? Anyways this is just super! Even if you get 1/3rd the speeds (around 100 mbps also) it is pretty great 🙂

Torrent: 28-30 MBps
F8iFVM.png

IDM:
RivK49.png

3i8bpg.png

Downloads are between 20 - 25 MBps on IDM.

Fast.com:
KFbTZG.png

Fast.com speeds are same as before. 30 Mbps - 65 Mbps. Extreme IX and Mumbai IX are starting their operations in Chennai later this year. I'm not complaining but I'd love to get 100+ Mbps on fast.com as well 😱penedeyewink:

I just got this SMS from Cherrinet!!!! Thank you being part of the Cherrinet family. As a gesture of our gratitude, We have upgraded you from 50 Mbps, 90GB Plan to 100 Mbps; 150GB @ NO EXTRA COST

Anything above 100mbps, you need a gigabit Ethernet port(upto 1 gbps) in router. I think your router has fast ethernet port (upto 100 mbps). Try to connect the Lan cable from ONU directly to the system and check the speed.

^ According to their website you should have gotten 150 Mbps with Starter plus.

Which router r u using dude?

Nice speeds. ACT and Cherrinet seem to be moving lockstep with respect to FUP. If only one of them were to go crazy and offer 1 TB, the other may be forced to match. It's clear that both are not scared of Hathway's 1 TB FUP plans.

I am tempted to get Cherrinet as my second connection but can't take a risk with two "fair weather" ISPs. The second line will have to be underground to be an effective backup.

^^ are these 600mbps wireless adapters with antenna any good? thinking of turning a archaic laptop with single band 1030N to a download rig.