Cherrinet - 200 Mbps - 2 TB - Chennai (Review)

• Thread starter Thread starter warpspeed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 415
  • Views Views 135,116
Edit: No longer using the connection.

Cherrinet Fiber Broadband Review

Plans:

SoH3io2.webp

My Plan: Basic 200 Mbps (symmetric) 2 TB. It is prepaid and the rental is Rs. 1768 per month including taxes. They also offer 6 months+1 free and 12 months+2 free if you're looking for longer validity. Static IP is available at Rs. 5000 a year.

Got my connection up and running on the same day I paid. The fiber cable terminates at your premises on a ZTE ONU. Connection is reliable and the speeds are consistent.

Speedtest:
7129453778.png

Singapore:
7129456078.png

Netherlands:
7129459586.png

NYC (USA):
7129462684.png

DSL Reports:
30763175.png

Fast.com:
7eTdP95.webp

Torrent:
IhRT2LZ.webp

Browser download speed:
pzXrJ7e.webp

Steam (in Megabits):

uCKJYh7.webp

Conclusion:
I'm very satisfied with my Cherrinet connection. I highly recommend them if you are thinking about getting a connection. I don't suggest going for the longer validity plans given they update them frequently. You won't be able to change it till the subscription ends. Also make sure they put you on Airtel Transit. My speeds were all over the place when I was on Tata.

Pros:
  • Great speeds.
  • Less Downtimes.
Cons:
  • Overhead cabling.
  • You don't have the option to change your plan till it's validity expires.
  • Their Tata transit sucks to the core.

Let me know in the comments if you want me to test anything.

Edit: Updated on 30/12/16
Edit 2 (12/02/17): Not a single downtime since my last edit. Added fast.com speedtest result.
Edit 3 (07/04/17): Didn't face any downtime since Vardah.
Edit 4 (04/05/17): Added DSLReport speedtest. Yet to face any downtime.
Edit 5 (19/08/17): Cherri upgraded my plan to unlimited and the connection is still going strong. Added updated plans.
Edit 6 (11/03/18): Faced two downtimes which were quickly resolved. Updated speed test results.
Edit 7 (04/05/18): They don't offer unlimited anymore.
Final Edit (28/05/19): Cancelled the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chennai enjoys best fixed broadband speed, Karnataka leads states

When it comes to fixed broadband speed in Indian cities, Chennai topped the chart with over 32.67 Mbps speed -- 57.7 per cent faster than the country's average speed (20.72 Mbps) -- broadband speed tester Ookla revealed on Tuesday.

Among states, Karnataka topped the list, with a mean download speed of 28.46 Mbps in February which is 37.4 per cent faster than the rest of the country.
"Tamil Nadu is a close second at 27.94 Mbps. Mizoram is the slowest with a mean download speed of 3.62 Mbps in February, which is 82.5 per cent slower than the rest of the country," the Ookla report said.

such stark contrast in Internet speeds 🙄

I'm wondering if anyone else here is getting packet loss or ping spikes while using cherrinet.

Can someone here using cherrinet (preferably from Chennai) try to ping these IP's for 10 min and see if your getting the above.

These are IP's for servers in Singapore, Europe and US. I would either get packet loss and on complaining they would resolve it by changing something in their back end which would result in the spikes. i don't know which is worse.

@manojrk: Any other way to check the backend routing, whether tata or airtel.. Whenever I do tracert..-- dead tinypic image removed --
The routing seems to happen by Airtel.. But, my IP starts with 45.251.*.*... which seems to be tata... someone suggested earlier airtel IPs start with 101.*.*.*... Can anyone tell me how to fix this.. What should I ask them to correct at backend? My speed sucks in international server.. One last try, else this is the end of this bullshit..

@mk4 ping results

Ping statistics for 203.117.172.253:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 38ms, Average = 36ms

Ping statistics for 103.28.54.16:
Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 37ms, Average = 35ms

Ping statistics for 185.60.112.157:
Minimum = 190ms, Maximum = 194ms, Average = 191ms

Ping statistics for 24.105.30.129:
Minimum = 327ms, Maximum = 330ms, Average = 328ms

@trammat
you're being routed through Airtel based on tracert, Cherri seems to have separate block for static ips.

My speed sucks in international server..

any addresses so I could test from my end.

Thanks but could you try it with the suffix "-t" so it won't stop with 4 packets and let it run for 10 min so i can get a clear picture?

For example: ping 203.117.172.253 -t

^^

Packets: Sent = 2157, Received = 2157, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 353ms, Average = 39ms

Exactly looks almost like mine.

Packets: Sent = 7459, Received = 7453, Lost = 6 (0% loss),
Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 443ms, Average = 35ms

So looks like it's a common issue. How is this possible? Airtel doesn't have such a problem and they are using Airtel routing when i try to traceroute the IP.

Edit :- Here's how it looks for Airtel VDSL.
Airtel_ping.png

Last edited:
@trammat Looks like you're already on Airtel. Were you able to get hold of their server guys? I've tried to explain the slow speed issue, numerous times to regular CC to no avail. I almost cancelled the connection until someone arranged a callback from server engineer. Fortunately he understood the issue and optimized my routing.

@Mak4 Same here. Noticing the lag spikes a lot lately. Congested gateway probably?

Q3EXspE.png

@trammat
you're being routed through Airtel based on tracert, Cherri seems to have separate block for static ips.

any addresses so I could test from my end.[/QUOTE]

@mr_grump5:
Sorry for late reply!! Problem is with almost every site, when hosted out of India..
Tried to download ubuntu ISO, a week back from here..
Contribute to Ubuntu | Ubuntu | Ubuntu
Speed maxed at 2.5MBps..

@trammat Looks like you're already on Airtel. Were you able to get hold of their server guys? I've tried to explain the slow speed issue, numerous times to regular CC to no avail. I almost cancelled the connection until someone arranged a callback from server engineer. Fortunately he understood the issue and optimized my routing.

@Mak4 Same here. Noticing the lag spikes a lot lately. Congested gateway probably?

Q3EXspE.png

@manojrk: Ya.. I spoke with a couple of backend guys.. explained them.. But, it is of no use.. Even their system using a 1gbps connection(test conn at their end), reports similar speeds.. So, they are coming up saying that it is the server limitation and telling me to contact the server host directly.. I think even some of their system is suffering from this speed issue.. btw,It was ubuntu iso host server actually... So, Asked them, whether they want me to contact every other sites that I visit to improve the speeds?? Plain no answer from them... Bunch of tech morons...

I am not a network freak, maybe anyone can suggest, what should I tell them to look into to solve this issue.. If optimizing the routing could solve, how can I suggest them to do that?? Their idiotic response completely forces me not to call them about this issue..

I can relate to that. Only thing that fixed my issue is was creating a cancellation request and actually have them look into it. I suggest you to try the same and if nothing works, as you said earlier, this kind of hassle is simply not worth it when you're already paying a premium.

^ Thanks for reply and suggestion! Mine expires on Apr-4th.. So, ll try to check the speeds in LCO and ACT fibers and opt for disconnection..

Update: Probably my last update in this thread. Thanks all for the support.. Finally, ditched cherrinet and moved to LCO fiber. Plan details 100mbps for 1tb @ 899.. Its simply rockin..
7204029291.png

Seriously underestimated LCO. New knew US server could give full speed. Everything is cool.. Once again, Thank you all!!