static ip

Lokesh

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Jul 7, 2005
i read that u can set static ip settings for mtnl triband. is it true? how does one set static ip? is it better than automatic settings?

dearashwin

Regular
Regulars
Jul 5, 2005
i doubt.... the static ip hs to be assigned my the isp....the way u check if its working is if u have a software like hfs(http file server).. ask it to find the xternal link i.e the internet link... i use the software to transfer files on my lan... my old interne was thru pacenet... but pacenet also assigned static ip.. although it used to change each time i log on.. it used to remain static for that session... but mtnl has no such thing i guess cause hfs dint find the external link

coolbuddy_79

The Coolest One!!!
Regulars
Jan 30, 2005
ofcourse its wan. lan ips are always static.[/b]

well, my dear friend Prophet of the Pimps, in the DSL 502, the default option for getting a LAN IP is "Obtain an IP Automatically" which means, if u're in a network, i.e., more than one PC, u'll get different LAN IPs each time u start... :)

so in case u want to give a static LAN IP to the PC and not obtain it from the Router, u've to set few things up...

and that's what i was asking our new fella lokesh...coz i don't think he's talking about the WAN static IP here...so was just confirming before anyone can give a proper answer :)

dearashwin

Regular
Regulars
Jul 5, 2005
yes... thers sumthin called a dhcp server that automatically sets up the ips n the dns servers.... and also sumthing that i noticed was that in the dsl 502t u have an option where u can assign a mac address to an ip... so each time the comp comes on it always gets the same ip