MSNL Triband in Linux

silentcoder86

hii recently got suse linux 9.1 installed on my pc , along with windows xp.i have a triband_nu connection.my problem is that the settings for triband work on XP, but i'm unable to connect to the net on linux.i called up the mtnl helpline(mumbai)...but they weren't able to help.i too am a newbie at linux.i would be grateful if somebody could help me out with this.thanxs in advance-bye

hmm....linux, not really sure bud 🙁

hey,well I am on linux and the net works fine. I don't think there is anything u hv to do on the software side to get it up and running, the router automatically connects to mtnl server. How do u have it configured? In WinXP wht to u have to do to connect?try going to 192.168.1.1 and login with username password admin/admin and then save your password and stuff.Adwait

hi adwaitthanks for replyingin XP,the settings were applied by the mtnl guys...it just took a few minutes,not much of a trouble....but when i applied almost all the same settings to linux, i'm still not able to get thru...but sometimes i am able to ping 192.168.1.1.there r still some things that i may require,like whats my Local IP address and Remote IP address.???also, in linux do u use PPPoE or PPPoA?(whats the difference?)hope u understand my problem.thanxs once again-bye

THe settings that you make are saved on the router itself, so it doesn't matter which Os you start up, the settings will remain the same. You need not change the settings on your router.When you are in Linux, does the ADSL and Ethernet (or USB if you are using that) glow steadily? If so, it means you are connected and the problem is on the software side.You probably have a DNS problem, if so, check out /etc/resolv.conf. It should read something likenameserver 192.168.1.1BTW: Welcome to the linux community 🙂Adwait

adwaitthe lights (both ADSL and ethernet) glow steadily.so like u said..it must be a problem on the linux side.i was wondering,are there any issues of compatibily of the router/modem with linux.?BTW, was it a plug-and-play setup for u....or did u have to change some settings on linux??thanxs

Like I said, it was a plug n pray 😉 setup for me. Anyway, since your lights are glowing steadily, it is a problem on the Linux side. Did you try edting the resolv.conf? You do that withsudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf orsudo vi /etc/resolv.confAdd a line like,nameserver 192.168.1.1Also, maybe your ethernet port is not configured. Try the command sudo ifup eth0.Adwait