Static IP on Excitel Broadband

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
So, internet went down for around 10 minutes so I called up the customer care. The guy took me through the same nonsense steps which takes a bunch of minutes. I remembered that I had to enquire about static ip so I used the waiting time to get some info.

The guy said that Excitel is not providing static ip right now but the service is planned for future. He said that pricing is likely to be 1000 rupees plus taxes so around 1150 I guess. Should be great I guess for CCTV purposes.

Annoying thing is that the service came back during the call so the guy just pretended that restarting the router, taking out cable and putting it back again etc. etc. must have fixed the issue. :emoji_skull:

can @philip marlowe provide an update on this. thanks.

IPv4 Addresses are very limited nowadays and according to IRINN an ISP with 100K subscribers needs the same amount of IPv4 as a small community shop 🙂 but that's separate...

We are really having difficult times getting enough IPs and yes we are aware that some users might require to have static public IP for various purposes. We might introduce again the option top subscriber to such service but will be available only through online payment.

I guess if everything moves according to plans this will be available by end of 2016

Right. I wonder if my cctv system is capable of supporting ipv6... I assume static ipv6 can be provided for free? I have zero idea about this.

Unfortunately our research shows that IPv6 as of now doesn't help to resolve the problem with IPv4 shortage. The usage is still quite limited and the support becomes even more complex when IPv6 is involved in combination with IPv4 (so called dual stack)

Hey @philip marlowe . Any updates on this? 6 months is a long time for a plan. This is a deal breaker for me and I dont want to transfer out JUST because of this, so have been waiting for this to be implemented.

Unfortunately our research shows that IPv6 as of now doesn't help to resolve the problem with IPv4 shortage. The usage is still quite limited and the support becomes even more complex when IPv6 is involved in combination with IPv4 (so called dual stack)

@philip marlowe are you from Excitel? Can you pls PM your contract details... need some clarification w.r.t new connection..

Who is contact person here who can help in expediting. If feasiblity etc is ok , need to get the MTNL plan changed before month end.

@gizmofreak There is no one yet who can give a time frame. Customer care is clueless about a timeframe(IF AT ALL) . Still waiting on @Excitel here who may answer. Its upto them. Lets hope for the best.

Right. Static IP is one of the few reasons I am finding it hard to dump airtel. Any comment from @Excitel would be appreciated.

Who is contact person here who can help in expediting. If feasiblity etc is ok , need to get the MTNL plan changed before month end.

You can either use the sign-up form on the website (Excitel | Home) or call our toll-free customer care number (1-800-419-0616). You would then be suggested about the feasibility of coverage near your location. Which one of those options have you tried already (in case you have, that is).

@gizmofreak There is no one yet who can give a time frame. Customer care is clueless about a timeframe(IF AT ALL) . Still waiting on @Excitel here who may answer. Its upto them. Lets hope for the best.

Right. Static IP is one of the few reasons I am finding it hard to dump airtel. Any comment from @Excitel would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, we are not providing static IPs right now. This is due to multiple reasons. First of all, as you would know, there's an acute shortage of IPv4 addresses and its difficult to acquire them in any case. Moreover, the entire process related to static IP provisioning needs to be enhanced and revamped. Could you let us know what are the main reasons and motivations behind the requirement for a static IP, in detail? This would help us understand and channelize the exact reasons why a customer would need it. I would prefer the answer to this, to be as detailed and in-depth as possible.

I just need it for CCTV. I believe since the IPs we are provided are not public IPs I cannot use a dynamic dns type services? I am not sure. Do tell if there is a workaround that should work for CCTV type requirements.

I need it for CCTVS and my NAS it hosts all my files for office and home media. The main reason I got Excitel was because I needed high speeds for using those effectively. But NON provision of public IP never crossed my mind before getting @Excitel . I even got it installed in my office! thought it is basic facility.

I cant use DDNS because of this.