• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 72
  • Views Views 78,086

anu

Regulars
ISP
mtnl triband
hi all,
i have been requested by ashishgoel and viralbug to post reviews for IPTV.so I am posting it.

IPTV was advertised as "LIFE IS NOT IN YOUR CONTROL BUT ATLEAST YOUR TV WILL”
This very fact that there would some sort of child lock feature made my dad go for iptv.
I had applied for iptv connection about 6 weeks back; finally i got it on 24TH August. The waiting time is so long coz of the fact that MTNL has to first check Feasibility of the connection and then IOL will finally do the installation work.

In IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) signal instead of being Tx over cable it is received by the viewer through TRIBAND.

Cost:
1000 for installation. Which is non refudable
80 bucks as modem rent
200 bucks rental + service tax.

HARDWARE ACESSORIES REQUIRED:
==>ADSL modem with min of 2 LAN ports .one for IPTV and other for TRIBAND.
I already had UTSTRACOM UT304R2U, so had no problem on this front.

==>STB box provided my amino

==>UTP cable length of the cable depends on whether u want iptv in TV or COMPUTER.

FEATURES:
==> IPTV is provided in conjunction with Video on Demand and may be bundled with Internet services in the near future (net surfing).

==> Right now there are 160 channels. Sports channel like ESPN, STAR SPORTS, STAR CRICKET are not available. So cricket fans having IPTV are goanna miss T20 world cup. Still u will be able to watch matches that India will be playing on DD.

==> Now about video quality .As IPTV buffers digital signal in STB; due to crc errors and lack of BW some minor glitches may occur. But this is very rare. As mentioned earlier a lot depends on how much BW you have been allotted.

==>The IPTV STB connects to the LAN port of modem. It then buffers and encodes and finally decodes them. so I think u can not have IPTV WITHOUT A STB.

==> STb loads like OS “os :-------”Whatever firmware updates need to be done.They will be done automatically.

==> THere is no download limit concept associated with IPTV.

==> About CUSTOMER SERVICE IOL service works fine .They are quite prompt in attending to customers problem.Call them @ 126000 .they willl answer all your queries.

==> In case u go for IPTV what I suggest is Register yourself at IOL site also.

==> Registration link:IOL Broadband - IPTV Registration

final comments:
I sincerely believe that IPTV is still in its nascent stage.Many features which are supposed to be there will be provided later.

Those who want to play the waiting game may wait till new features are introduced.

NISH LAL has compared IPTV with DTH (post no 21).Due credits to him for theb post.

advantages of iptv over dth...

its a little cheaper

less chances of it trying to capitalize on the monopoly on market (like Tata Sky does)

its a new technology so lots of room for experimenting...

and how cool is it to have telephone internet and tv signal come down a single line

doesn'tget affected by rains

u might be able to watch tv on ur pc without a tv tuner or set top box

and if ur lucky and mtnl screw up in a certain way u might get extra bandwidth to download stuff without them knowing it

time-shift tv is a feature u can only get on iptv

and the disadvantages---

does not have a big user base so u don't really know if it will be worth it

mtnl is involved so a huge probability of goof-ups on their end

and if the telephone line goes down(doesn't happen very often now) then u will be pretty much cut off

regards,
anoop

Hey Anoop, good to see another "first hand" review about IOL IPTV!Can you please elaborate on what kind of audio/video quality you are experiencing? (say, how do you rate it on the scale of VCD to DVD?)What is the bandwidth at which your broadband connection works, and at how much noise margin? It is obvious that the quality is very sensitive to these two factors. I doubt and so want to find out whether their system automatically adjusts the quality depending upon available useful bandwidth. Like it may lower the quality for bad connections or raise it for good ones... this is just my guesswork, it may not be so🙂

Thanks for the review. Have applied for it ... hopefully they can push MTNL to give Broadband in my area.

Thanx alot for the review....i think, in Delhi, its being provided my Akash Optifibre n not with conjunction with IOL....

oh start sports/espn not there?!! i thought they were there. checked the channel list again and they are indeed NOT there!i can not go for IPTV without those 2 channels.so now i just have one option left. CAS! when wud it be implemented?

Thanx alot for the review....

i think, in Delhi, its being provided my Akash Optifibre n not with conjunction with IOL....
yaa it is correct.I wrote the review keeping mumbai in mind.

@netfreak :make sure u register yourself @IOl website also.

@santosh :
About the quality of signal a lot depends on your isp and how much BW they allot.
Just like in case of triband if ur modem does not work's out with some website then u simply reeboot your router ; same logic applies here.
about BW alloted : 4.5MBPS.

I wonder if someone have 4.5mbps with 849 Nu plan :O

I could be wrong, but looks like you are talking about the bandwidth allocated for internet browsing alone whereas myself and Anoop were talking about the bandwidth at which his ADSL line is working at. This bandwidth has to accommodate both internet as well as IPTV, and that's why it needs to be high enough (>4Mbps).

I could be wrong, but looks like you are talking about the bandwidth allocated for internet browsing alone whereas myself and Anoop were talking about the bandwidth at which his ADSL line is working at. This bandwidth has to accommodate both internet as well as IPTV, and that's why it needs to be high enough (>4Mbps).
yaa it denotes combined BW (triband +iptv).

DTH is better than IPTV

can u pl explain why
a simple one liner is not sufficient

have you tried downloading at full speed (whatever you get) and watching iptv at the same time? are there any glitches? and what download speeds do you get then?also do compare the video quality to DTH/VCD/DVD.

if i run iptv and surf net simultaneously then surfing speed is 1.9 mbps otherwise it is always touching 2mbps and certainly not less than that.no glitches as of now i run both simultaneously.The video quality is excellent (i am talking in absolute term and not relative)@ alli request someone to review Tata Sky so that i can add some more points and complete the review.

How is the channel sufing speed?Is it as fast as normal cable TV?
not so fast as compared to normal cable tv.But the difference is negligible ;may be 1 or 2 sec more.