A con called ACT.

creative420

ISP
Airtel
I've been with ACT Fibrenet for about 4-5 years in Bengaluru. I was with Airtel earlier on, but I got tired of their routine downtime. And every time I inquired, I would get the reply the line has been cut. We'll fix it. It got worse. Their lines would keep getting cut every now an then. At the same time I started hearing great things about ACT Broadband. Read a few reviews here and there. Their service was decent and stable in Bangalore, I thought 'why not'? So I switched over to ACT. While these guys were installing I very casually, almost jokingly, asked them if they were the ones cutting the airtel lines. And all I got was a mischievous smirk. I had no issues. I just wanted access, a faster access to my share of movies and music, and to play games online.

Jump 4-5 years where every person you know has ACT connection. Everyone is enjoying the awesome speed they provide. But some people are murmuring. And someone writes a petition. Some are posting in their blogs and some of them are writing in the forums. Suddenly, people are running out of FUP by the 2nd or 3rd week. But internet being the bare basic necessity, people keep on resetting the FUP. However, more and more people are complaining about it. Me and my wife work for almost 12 hours everyday and we start getting irked by this. We don't use THAT much of a data, is what we think. But life goes on.

And then I face it. I've reset my FUP about 2-3 times by now, but I think I might be using too much of it. But come August, one announcement by the Supreme Court shivered me and I, on purpose, stopped "accessing" movies and music through some sources online.

On 18th Sept. I get a message saying I've used 80% of the FUP. I tell my wife to stop reduce on the YouTube binge, where she uses 360p video quality. And I thought I'll reduce whatever browsing that I do too. Mind it, after the supreme court ruling, I haven't accessed my source of entertainment. My hard drive hasn't' seen anything new added to it for over a month.

Then it happens. On 24th morning, at around 4am, while I'm playing games, I get a message saying I've exceeded my FUP. I switch of the game and think I'll reset it whenever I wake up. About 11am my wife wakes me up saying she has to do a Skype call with her parents but the internet is very tortoise-y. So I log on and I'm about to reset but I do check under the 'My Usage' header how much of the internet have I really consumed. And it shows that I've used about 35.05GB till 22nd of Sept. I get curious. I could not have used the extra 25GB of data over the next 30 hours. So I give the engineer a call.

7d8684176c.jpg

The engineer tells me that I must have definitely exceeded it. I tell him Well, your website is telling me that I've consumed 35.05GB of data. So unless your are getting all this info from some other source/server then show it to me. We disconnect the call as he promises to sort this out in 24 hours. Then after couple of hours I get a call from their engineer asking me to send a screen shot, which I did. All I get in return is a receipt of my email and a promise of fixing this in 72 hours.

Now, my cousin comes home today. She has to finish her project and I contemplate resetting the FUP and VOILA! I get a text message from ACT saying I can pay Rs. 436 to reset my FUP for the month by replying them back with an SMS.

7d85d1a428.png

I was on my laptop and I thought I might as well do this via my laptop, so I go to portal.acttv.in and I'm about to reset it and the website tells me I have to pay Rs. 264 to reset my FUP.

7d83ed0ab9.jpg

How can they offer me two different prices to reset my FUP? I'm sure a lot of people might just reply back with a text message and end up paying higher. Meanwhile I also check my usage till 23rd of Sept and I've used just about 35.69GB. Which is less than 80% of my 60GB quota they they said was over by 18th of September.

7d86a1dd9b.jpg

I mean, if you're reading this ACT, why are you trying to con us? I mean, you have a good thing going on. If you want extra money, charge us. If it's costing you to expand and pay your employees, we would like to help. Please don't do this. This is as good as adding stones to lentils at ration shops. And we, as Indians, should move away from a mentality like that.

Well I thought ACT were good people but this looks like they are just tikona with better speeds

1. Well on FUP getting over, check if you are checking speedtest regularly, it will also lead to too much consumption of GB.
2. Resetting the FUP (i am totally against it), one what you are seeing in the portal is to reset FUP pro rata basis whereas sms what you received is to reset full FUP. (not checked but that's what i can understand from SMS)

1. Track your usage locally, it's the only way to be certain. I have and I've found that ACT isn't cheating me: BEWARE ACT is adding false GBs to FUP (download limit) usage we had 2 users with proof that ACT was not cheating and 1 with evidence that they were.

2. The FUP reset message is an offer. I only reset it if I get the message as it's a much better deal than what they charge normally.

Also do not disconnect the call with an engineer till they figure out the issue.

Last edited: