Sify Broadband IRC Block Port 6667

Tushar

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
May 5, 2005
This is so damn frustrating, since yesterday 12 noon I am unable to use iRC, I can't log onto any IRC server, I thought there was something wrong with my perform script probably in mIRC but no I just realized on doing a port scan that Sify has blocked port 6667. I can't access my frequent IRC servers/channels.I have *never* downlaoded anything off of iRC I basically use it to stay in touch with my friend chat etc. My iRC client (mIRC) however is always on 24/7. Is there any workaround for this, I really need to have IRC.I tried all available clients, mIRC, Xchat, Chatzilla, Trillian etc then I realized that my port could be blocked. This is the worst nightmare.Why the **** did they have to do this, can't they let us live in peace. arrrrghhhhhhhhhThis is worse than having limited downloads

NeO

Regulars
Regulars
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by Tushar@Jul 2 2005, 12:48 PM
This is so damn frustrating, since yesterday 12 noon I am unable to use iRC, I can't log onto any IRC server, I thought there was something wrong with my perform script probably in mIRC but no I just realized on doing a port scan that Sify has blocked port 6667. I can't access my frequent IRC servers/channels.

I have *never* downlaoded anything off of iRC I basically use it to stay in touch with my friend chat etc. My iRC client (mIRC) however is always on 24/7.

Is there any workaround for this, I really need to have IRC.

I tried all available clients, mIRC, Xchat, Chatzilla, Trillian etc then I realized that my port could be blocked. This is the worst nightmare.

Why the **** did they have to do this, can't they let us live in peace. arrrrghhhhhhhhh

This is worse than having limited downloads
[snapback]14546[/snapback]
[/quote]
no prob dude just add "1" b4r it like 16667 and enjoy

GAURAV7777

Regular
Regulars
Dec 15, 2004
no probs here tusharmy irc is working fine and can download stuff from it alsodid u installed zone alarm yesterday if yes then u gotta disable irc blocking from zone alarm as it blocks irc by default

GAURAV7777

Regular
Regulars
Dec 15, 2004
so u mean to say that nntp port(119) which is used for newsgroups is blocked by my cto not sify

Tushar

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
May 5, 2005
Obviously not, CTO has nothing to do with this, besides we get a connection straight from Sify the CTO isn't involved in this at all. Our building doesn't allow the CTO to provide any internet services, all ISP's are directly contacted. Besides this port isnt blocked on the router, if that was the case I could easily connect to IRC, *all* traffic (incoming/outgoing) on this port appears to be blocked, this can only be done centrally, and it is attached to my username.

Tushar

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
May 5, 2005
Originally posted by NeO@Jul 2 2005, 03:39 PM
no prob dude just add "1" b4r it like 16667 and enjoy
[snapback]14560[/snapback]
[/quote]
Only if life was so simple, I tried that changed port to one of the open ones, however it didn't work, I guess because all IRC servers are on port 6667.

anand

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 25, 2004
When my irc was blocked long long ago it didn't matter what port number I changed it to, it would not work. I called the Sify people and after a (rather funny) conversation with their staff it started working on the normal port. Hmm, maybe I should post that conversation sometime....

Tushar

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
May 5, 2005
Yes, indeed they haven't just blocked my one port they have blocked the whole damn irc protocol, using some software similar to that used by the Canadian ISP to throttle BT Traffic. I have sent them an email regarding the same, but if you could please post your conversation I could get some idead on how to tackle these morons

Supreme

Regulars
Jan 27, 2005
Where are you located
Check for their proxy
Check whether your connections are going through a proxy probably squid proxy(unix systems)
try www.proxyjudge.com