Jio happily doing Deep Packet Inspection - govt surveillance ahead?

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 4,933

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
ISP
Tata Play 1 gbps, Microscan 500 mbps and PDPL 300 mbps.
From From big oil to big data: inside Mukesh Ambani's $20 billion start-up

"For Reliance... data is the new oil, and intelligent data is the new petrol," Ambani said in March, explaining his drive to move closer to India's consumers.

Reliance has said little publicly about Jio, and even less about the potential for wide-scale data mining in a country where consumers have not, to date, made a big deal about online privacy. But top executives are clear on the opportunity.

"It's called Deep Packet Inspection, and what you can do with the analytics of that is mind-boggling," said a senior Reliance executive, referring to a practice that digs into 'packets' of data created by computers for efficiency, mining them for information.

isn't it the same article which said that mukesh ambani learned to code and launched telecom services under reliance brand which was taken away by his brother?

I want to know if they have already started blocking websites/webpages criticizing Mukesh Ambani.

Let's find out! Criticise here and let's see if IBF gets blocked 😀

Reactions: SVK
lol. i believe good number of regulars on this forum are already on jio so it would be bad to lose their traffic.

Most of the traffic is moving towards HTTPS/Other Encryption anyway. Even youtube is HTTPS now. Deep packet inspection will be less and less useful. All the sites I care about use HTTPS

ISPs can already detect domains even when they are being served on HTTPS. The certificate contain the domains it is installed on. Plus, a lot of sites end up using CloudFlare and since they have Indian servers, the traffic between CloudFlare and the domains is blocked resulting in you getting a blocked page even on HTTPS.