Best Router for using with 4G and 3G sim cards ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jimtish
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 6,982
I want a router to be fixed permanently in a place in my home and I just need to change sim card within it time to time depending on offer I get on 4g or 3g packages.

Budget is 10k. I am thinking to buy
TP-Link Archer MR200

it costs around Rs.9000

any other cheaper or similar alternative ?

If you already have good indoor signal in your home, you can buy a TP-Link MR 3020 and and use an unlocked 4G usb stick with it.
Should cost you less than 3500 for both.
You will have to install OpenWRT firmware on your router though.

@vidyut buddy could you please suggest a good router with range coverage ?
TPLIK 3020 doesnot have antenna I am not sure whether it give great coverage,also the 4g reception is issue, I am going to use Jio sim now . so the USB 4G dongle also receive good signal from tower.

@Sanket More No signal is not good in my home but I have a window space where signal is better than the rest, so I would like to install a router there and which covers my entire home atleast , it is one end of my home and the router must cover 1400 Square feet of area in the same floor. TP-Link 3020 not having any antenna does not seem as better solution, any opinion ?

Last edited by a moderator:
signal is not good in my home but I have a window space where signal is better than the rest, so I would like to install a router there and which covers my entire home atleast
...which is why most people here including me want to get Jiolink CPE which has some mysterious invite system, but thats a different issue altogether.

wifi coverage heavily depends on your home layout. If all rooms are connected by a common passage you should install your router ideally on the passage ceiling so it can "see" all the rooms. If not, try buying two cheap routers instead and have them wired together. If you want to minimize cabling, try range extenders (convenient but these suffer from high latency)
TP-LINK Universal Wireless Wifi Range Extender Signal Booster-router+N300-300MBP

@vidyut buddy could you please suggest a good router with range coverage ?
TPLIK 3020 doesnot have antenna I am not sure whether it give great coverage,also the 4g reception is issue, I am going to use Jio sim now . so the USB 4G dongle also receive good signal from tower.

Hello Jimtish.
I'm no router expert, but since you are going to place the router on a corner window and still want to have coverage throughout the entire space please consider these routers.

Tp-Link Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router - Buy Tp-Link Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

Here is the review The Best Wi-Fi Router (for Most People)

Or This one.
Xiaomi Mi Wi-Fi Router mini AC Mi intelligent Dual-band 2.4GHz / 5GHz 1167Mbps

Last edited:
...which is why most people here including me want to get Jiolink CPE which has some mysterious invite system, but thats a different issue altogether.

wifi coverage heavily depends on your home layout. If all rooms are connected by a common passage you should install your router ideally on the passage ceiling so it can "see" all the rooms. If not, try buying two cheap routers instead and have them wired together. If you want to minimize cabling, try range extenders (convenient but these suffer from high latency)
TP-LINK Universal Wireless Wifi Range Extender Signal Booster-router+N300-300MBP

I tried using a range extender

TP-Link TL-WA730RE

but the speed I got and ping time disappointing while using with JioFi 2 device. So I am not using it and serching for a sigle device to support jio simcard and BSNL unlinited 3G plan so BSNL 3G card.
I am also behind the JioLINK CPE but no avail. I enquired with evry jio person I came across.but looks like they not aware of this device existence they lookand mistook it as this a either a JioFi2 (another model) or the ones(router i think) been using in MALLs and hospital by JioNet and said it is not for general public. also I read how people getting their hands on a JioLInk device. there is a strict process of checking signals and choosing places with good signal only for Jiolink(i do not understand if someone getting good signal why they need a jiolink on first place) and also getting approval from higher officials also not possible for everyone who have no contacts in Jio. btw how do you use your jio connection in home ?

Hello Jimtish.
I'm no router expert, but since you are going to place the router on a corner window and still want to have coverage throughout the entire space please consider these routers.

Tp-Link Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router - Buy Tp-Link Archer C7 AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

Here is the review The Best Wi-Fi Router (for Most People)

Or This one.
Xiaomi Mi Wi-Fi Router mini AC Mi intelligent Dual-band 2.4GHz / 5GHz 1167Mbps

Thank you so much ,I still not decided ,btw Xiaomi Mi router ,does it support USB dongles ?

Wifi extenders do support all the wifi routers irrespective of connection you have, Either it be adsl, fiber, wireless (4g,3g), cable etc. Even you can extend the range of primary hotspot connection too.

If the 4g dongle you use atleast have soft wifi (flashed dashboard), you can use the range extender to further extend the range. So thus buy the unlocked airtel 4g router, just insert your jio sim, use the range extender to get the powerful wifi range.