Hosting web servers on BSNL DataOne

• Thread starter Thread starter snitin1234
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 7,739

snitin1234

Hi,Am a DataOne Home 3300 user. I want to know the details on how can one go about hosting web servers from home. Is this legal first of all ? If yes, then :-1) How to get a static IP from BSNL (Currently they give dynamic IPs).2) What are the tariff plans for this ?If this is not the way out, then are their other service providers who give this facility ?ThanksNitin

As far as I know you are allowed to legally host an damn thing on your connection as far as it doesnt involve trading of materials which lead to infringement of copyrights.

As for dynamic IP, just make an account at www.no-ip.com, its a Dynamic DNS solution which installs a s/w on ur comp which periodically checks ur ip and if it has chnaged it automatically updates the DNS.

If the solution given by our freind works then fine else you need to wait for BSNL to start to give Static IPs.

well, i don't think that's going to be soon...considering others following the suit of NAT...obviously, u can buy them!!!

BSNL is giving Asymmetric connection where u can download at full speed but whenever someone downloads from u (i.e., data uploaded from your computer ) the datarate is far slower. I think it will hinder greatly the running of any server on BSNL connection.

Just for knowledge what is the diff between ADSL and DSL. Is it that the upload speed is slower compared to d/l in ADSL. If so then BSNL has smartly done it so that their target audience is home and office users and not the s/w cos who need to upload quite often for client work.I am not sure if it is just that.

You have two options:

a) Configure your ADSL router to do D-NAT to transfer http connections on
your A-DSL router to your Web server.

B) Configure ADSL router as transparent bridge and then run the PPPoE
software on your web server.

B) is not recommended because it opens up your Web server to the
external world.

Enzoy!!

Originally posted by GimmeRed@Jun 30 2005, 06:41 AM
But the modem cfg page will appear to outsiders and nothing else ! 🙁
[snapback]14246[/snapback]
[/quote]

Erm, dont forget BSNL charges Rs 2 per MB (or Rs 1.50 if you have a higher package)... so if you a runa server and it gets leeched you will PAY FOR IT... literally and figuratively hehe 😎

check out abyss web server and check out the forum and appaji.net for how to set up your modem so that you can host a website...

also see www.no-ip.com and www.dyndns.org you can get a hostname such as yourname.no-ip.org or yournick.homeip.net etc and when your computer boots up it updates your current IP to this website host name... (DNS)

yeah, i got one name from no-ip...to host an FTP server so that i can share my stuff with my friends...it never materalized till date...first, Sify never let me do so...even after following up with them for a couple of months...then i got tired and left it...second, am a bit too scared to mess with the MTNL modem as the firmware has a glitch, and i don't want to be without net...so my plans of the FTP server are in cold storage for the time being 🙂

I will soon offer Webspace at cheap rates for those who want to host domains ( even domains will be offered cheaply ).Transfers will be set to pretty high levels so that you can upload files and share with freinds.If you are interested then I shall post one of this forum to let you know ( even others ) if they want to avail of small spaces from our set up.

Originally posted by coolbuddy_79@Jul 7 2005, 12:58 AM
my motto in life...DO NOT pay for anything on internet!!! 😀 :lol:
[snapback]15164[/snapback]
[/quote]

this is exactly the reason why most services which were once used to be free are now paid.