BSNL spending more money on Dataone

• Thread starter Thread starter Somjit
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 3,933

Somjit

BSNL Calcutta Telephones will spend Rs. 25 crore on Dataone during current financial year.Broadband service based on ADSL2+ technology over the existing telephone wire provides high speed internet access with speed ranging from 256 Kbps to 2 Mbps. During the current financial year the capacity of the network will be expanded to 1 lakh with an estimated expenditure of Rs. 25 crores. Triple Play service (voice, video and data) will be offered through broadband connection in near future. BSNL, Calcutta Telephones has offered fibre connectivity to all the upcoming housing/commercial complex so that total fault free service can be provided to the customers. Agreement has been made by BSNL with HCL and Amar PC to make co-branded PC available in market . Customer will get attractive rebate , if such PC is purchased along with BSNL broadband connection.

wow!!! sounds great!!! 😀any idea when BSNL and MTNL are merging??? 🤔

Online video requires at least 4.5 Mbps stable connection. That means about 1800 MB of data per hour. At a price of Rs. 2 / MB, imagine how much you have to pay at the current B'Band plan.

Movies will not be charged at Rs 2 per Mb or whatever but they shall be charged Per Movie basis ( say Rs 20 or Rs 50 per movie ).

video on demand is something which would take another couple of years to arrive in india.

Originally posted by Sushubh@Jun 29 2005, 10:55 PM
video on demand is something which would take another couple of years to arrive in india.
[snapback]14178[/snapback]
[/quote]
BSNL has already floated tender for content providers

the point is how they implement it. sify has a portal for providing similar content. but when u pay per meg... it is not actually of any use.

Paying per meg for Video on Demand would be ridiculous but I think VoD will be charged per movie and not per meg. But we never know.

per movie... i guess for that they would have to start mantaining syncronised servers in every locality... a movie wont be smaller than a gig each and downloading it on a local PC would consume a LOT OF bandwidth.

Grey area for me. As neither am I qualified to comment on that and nor knowledgable.Lets wait for more on it from the guys who intend to deliver.

till things are settled, i'll go my own way...download movies from P2P in my "unlimited" plan and enjoy them as many times as i want!!! 😀

BSNL first needs to focus on keeping its exsisting customers. :angry: At the rate of Rs 2/MB, BSNL DataOne would be the cruelest joke in the world regarding data and an utter waste and ridiculous for any serious broadband user.At this rate most BSNL customers would prefer to disconnect DataOne and switch to Airtel which is offering unlimited 256k for Rs 500 till Aug 31,2005 and 128k unlimited for Rs 900 permanently and 256k unlimited plan expected as well.Even MTNL seems to have more sense in introducing at least a Night Unlimited (NU) plan than the arrogant and disdainful way BSNL is treating its present customers.

from what i know every company is in this business to make money. and bsnl played a nice decent trick to get people used to free cheap broadband connectivity. albeit with poor customer support. so i guess, since you knew about today... calling BSNL bad for mistreating its customers (??) is seriously funny.

Originally posted by videshi_laloo@Jun 30 2005, 11:15 AM
BSNL first needs to focus on keeping its exsisting customers.  :angry:

Even MTNL seems to have more sense in introducing at least a Night Unlimited (NU) plan than the arrogant and disdainful way BSNL is treating its present customers.
[snapback]14275[/snapback]
[/quote]

requested: url of website with new tariffs of MTNL.. tia.. pupudada