Lokpal and Lokayukta Act

livelively

On vacations. See you....
[OP]
Regulars
Feb 7, 2011
Today thousands of supporters along with Anna hazare ji are fasting for janlokpal Bill in India with a movement namely "INDIA AGAINST CORRUPTION"

'India against Corruption' member Anna Hazare on fast unto death over Lokpal Bill - The Times of India

Citizens to observe hunger strike today - The Times of India

HATS OFF:bowtoyou::bowtoyou::bowtoyou::clap::clap::clap::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Our government is amazing. They like to create bodies that cannot do anything even if they want to (TRAI).

Raditz

Regular
Regulars
Jul 14, 2007
I hope he succeeds! All the best to him and his comrades.

dsneih

da Mafia
Regulars
Aug 14, 2008
Mumbai
kiran bedi, baba ramdev and many youngster are supporting them ...its good if the same get passed with recommendation provided .. as with that they need to resolve the corruption related case in one year .. i know its not possible but sound good

W

warthog

this bill is very orwellian.I supported this bill untill i read this
Full text: Lokpal Bill that Hazare wants changed - Resources News - IBNLive

9. Issue of Search Warrant, etc.
1) Where, in consequence of information in his possession, the Lokpal (a) has reason to believe that any person. –
(i) to whom a summon or notice under this Act, has, been or might be issued, will not or would not produce or cause to be produced any property, document or thing which will be necessary or useful for or relevant to any inquiry or other proceeding to be conducted by him;
(ii) is in possession of any money, bullion, jewellery or other valuable article or thing and such money, bullion, jewellery or other valuable article or thing represents either wholly or partly income or property which has not been disclosed to the authorities for the purpose of any law or rule in force which requires such disclosure to be made; or
(b) considers that the purposes of any inquiry or other proceedings to be conducted by him will be served by a general search or inspection,
he may by a search warrant authorize any Police officer not below the rank of an Inspector of Police to conduct a search or carry out an inspection in accordance therewith and in particular to, -
(i) enter and search any building or place where he has reason to suspect that such property, document, money, bullion, jewellery or other valuable article or thing is kept;
(ii) search any person who is reasonably suspected of concealing about his person any article for which search should be made;
(iii) break open the lock of any door, box, locker safe, almirah or other receptacle for exercising the powers conferred by sub-clause (i) where the keys thereof are not available.
Seize any such property, document, money, bullion, jewellery or other valuable article or thing found as a result of such search;
(iv) place marks of identification on any property or document or make or cause to be made; extracts or copies therefrom; or
(v) make a note or an inventory of any such property, document, money, bullion, Jewellery or other valuable article or thing.
(2) The provisions of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973, relating to search and seizure shall apply, so far as may be, to searches and seizures under sub-section (1).
(3) A warrant issued under sub-section (1) shall for all purposes, be deemed to be a warrant issued by a court under section 93 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973.

34. Power to make regulations
Lokpal shall have power to make its own regulations for the smooth functioning of the institution and to effectively implement various provisions of this Act.
35. This Act shall override the provisions of all other laws.

This sets a dangerous precedent.NO judge or magistrate.Under IPC where it is not a cognizable offense the police needs to get a warrant from a judge but here it is via FIAT.

THE new direct taxes bill 2011 give IT officials draconian powers in relating to search and seizure.

Sorry i dont support this bill in the current form.Unless there is separation of powers and judicial oversight in search and seizure it wil be misused and will lead to reverse tyranny from the majority.

Raditz

Regular
Regulars
Jul 14, 2007
All of those provisions already exist under Chapter VII of the CRPC, the only difference her is that instead of Dist. Mag/ CJM the power will be extended to Lokpal. It is clear that they want the Lokpal to have powers equal to those of the above mentioned authorities.As long as their is a transparent system of appointing a Lokpal (whose credentials must be impeccable) I don't think we should fear it. Also, Lokpal will have powers to tackle corruption (elected officials/ bureaucrats) , common man will not be adversely affected by this.

W

warthog

India is the only common law country other than australia where you dont have right against unreasonable search and seizure.Until we have this amendment there will be power to abuse.Be it tapping or search unless it has been authorised by a judge and only after giving proof the warrant should be allowed.

Topweb

Regular
Nov 18, 2007
The people in our country don't have right against unreasonable search and seizure is because lack of such rights enable biggest gang of extortionists (i.e. state police) to operate with impunity. Since the proceeds of extortion are shared by politicians as well, so they will never make any law to reign in the powers of police.Despite having good intentions, Anna Hazare is fighting an battle that he can't win. He want the most corrupt and incompetent government in Indian history to make a stringent law against corruption. How is this going to be possible? Dhritrashtra Manmohan Singh certainly will not like to see all the ministers of his government end up in Tihar jail in Delhi.

livelively

On vacations. See you....
[OP]
Regulars
Feb 7, 2011
The people in our country don't have right against unreasonable search and seizure is because lack of such rights enable biggest gang of extortionists (i.e. state police) to operate with impunity. Since the proceeds of extortion are shared by politicians as well, so they will never make any law to reign in the powers of police.

Despite having good intentions, Anna Hazare is fighting an battle that he can't win. He want the most corrupt and incompetent government in Indian history to make a stringent law against corruption. How is this going to be possible? Dhritrashtra Manmohan Singh certainly will not like to see all the ministers of his government end up in Tihar jail in Delhi.

I just remember one quotation of Gandhiji looking at the movement
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

Hazare ji is passing through the 2nd phase of quote and gradually moving toward the third one. The movement was the result of first phase of quote.

It is the result of GIVING UP that has lead India to such a epidemic condition of corruption and one of the worst ranked country in Human conditions and Corruption.
Let us be hopeful that even if this movement will not result in any thing as you said. It is at least opening the eyes of long asleep countrymen.

If you want to see the power of few people see a very nice video by Nickel back

[video=youtube;-IUSZyjiYuY]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IUSZyjiYuY[/video]

Once again, We Salute you Hazare ji for opening our eyes and realizing our strength

logiccool

from my Experience
Regulars
Jun 14, 2010
West Delhi
Our country had made lot of progress in raising corrupt politicians, simple eg to prove this, earlier only driving licenses were made by taking bribes now a person can become a commercial pilot by giving bribe. No nation in the world have observed such steep progress in corruption. Now its time to observe closely, what our govt. is doing or not doing, and let us pledged to elect a much better govt in 2014. Anna's movement can be the starting of fight against corruption but certainly not the end or conclusion. Citizens of India have to take it fwd from here.