• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 4,247

amish

Star gazer
I got banned!
ISP
MTNL Mumbai BB_600 @12mbps
And now they are blocking port 25 completely!! (for whole network)

Dear MTNL Broadband User:

You may be aware of the DDOS attacks that crippled lot of ISP's in Maharashtra last week. While the MTNL infrastructure was not affected by this, we are taking some additional measures to protect broadband users. There are many broadband users who do not have effective Anti Virus systems. Hackers attack these systems, install zombies and then carry out

SPAM attacks (frequently), and
DOS attacks (infrequently).

To stop SPAM attacks, MTNL Mumbai will be blocking port 25 for all broadband users. Port 25 is typically used by zombie PC's to send out SPAM. These attacks happen without the knowledge of end users and make the Internet connection slow and increase the broadband user's Internet usage. By blocking this port, MTNL will be stopping these attacks.

This change should not affect the typical user, as Internet and browsing access does not require port 25 access. Corporate email users can ask their System administrators to use a different port (587, 465, etc.) and continue to use their emails without any interruptions.

This does not affect GSM / leased line users. We expect very few users to be affected by this. If you are affected by this, as a short term measure, you can use relay services from MTNL. We have provided the following resources if you have any queries:

Guide on how to configure MTNL SMTP relay services
Support Email: mailsupport@mtnl.net.in
Phone: 022-24331175

This measure will be implemented on 28-7-2016 evening. Configuration changes (if guide is followed) should be done by users on or after 29-7-2016.

Thanks & Regards
MTNL helpdesk.

Btw I like it that mail looks professional with proper information. Atleast some improvement.

What I always wonder is if all ISPs block port 25 then virus / spam writers will also start using port 587.

Then what? They can not keep blocking ports.

WTF MTNL itself is using port 25 for its smtp 😡 BTW I cant send mail using the mtnl smtp as it gives a warning about their certificate. Anyone also has this problem

Last edited:
As expected email settings for MTNL has stopped working in email client Thunderbird.:devil::devil:😊 Both pop as well as smtp and the there no mention of it when u login to your mail a/c or outside. Not that i really use this POS. Its there ONLY for receiving mail from these jokers 😡

if you are using thunderbird specifically to check this account, it might be a good idea to just import mails in gmail using the internal feature on it.

I use thunderbird to collect all my mail (all configured seperately) Hmm yes that looks like the only option. No point wasting any more time on this BS product

Last edited:
They want us to use their relay service for emails.
Once they find that many users have started relay, they will start charging for each email you send.

I was using it only to receive their mails now I think I will change it to another id in my login. They can stuff their id & their bright ideas 😛😡

This shit is impressive considering they are selling ads that would be injected in your sent mails.