Hathway Kolkata

• Thread starter Thread starter bhojv74
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 19,331
Hathway in my area used to be great with no downtimes. However, they have expanded too quickly and speeds fluctuate a lot now. Still no downtimes, though.

50Mbps D/L connection will give you 5Mbps U/L speed. Other users in the forum have had decent experience with Hathway.

Hi All,

I'm a new guy in this forum and will be moving from Australia to Kolkata soon. Have been looking at ISPs in Kolkata for a while and shortlisted Airtel and Hathway has two potential ISPs to try out.

Have been used to Fibre to the Home symetric speeds of 100 MBPS (download and upload) and looking for something comparable in Kolkata.

Can anybody advise whether Airtel or Hathway also provides good upload speeds?

Thanks.

Hathway just upgraded my plan to 100mbps (1000GB FUP) from my earlier 50bmps/150 GB. To top it off they are offering additional 1 month on pre payment of 6 months. So I end up paying ~6700 INR for 7 months for a 100 mbps line.
@Addy007 - Hathway is your best bet. They provide true FTTH and so far offer symmetric speeds. I get around 80 down and 70 up usually on my 100 mbps line.
They seemed to have also improved their network as I can feel a considerable difference in gaming and international bandwidth/ping times in the past week. This is in Salt Lake though. Not sure about other parts of the city.

@Dhrubo.S which block in Salt Lake are you from? I just surrendered my Airtel Broadband as it was costing me a fortune unnecessarily. I applied for Hathway (Its becoming utopian to wait for Rjio Gigafiber). Let's see when the agent comes for documentation / etc. I do hope I can get / bargain for that 100mbps (1000GB FUP) plan you mentioned as its not publicly mentioned in their website. What are the equipment they are providing? Do they bundle their Hathway Cable connection with the same Fibre line?

AE block. I don't think you will get the unlisted plans when you are applying. But worth haggling anyway 🙂
Their cable line is separate. They provide FTTH connections, so you get a Fiber splitter (?) and a basic D-Link router (pretty worthless IMO). The only downside is that their fiber runs overhead and not underground. I haven't had a cut yet but not sure what happens during the pujas.

@Dhrubo.S I am from AC. I got the connection activated on Jul, 14. I got the same plan 100mbps (1000GB FUP). Paid Rs. 2475/- for 3 months for which they waived off the installation charge. So far so good. They gave me the ZTE F612W GPON. Now coming to the real downsides of Hathway. They have this irritating system of MAC Binding with their hardware. Which means you can't attach your own Router to do the PPPoE Authentication by setting their equipment as a Dumb Bridge. I tried calling their customer care, even though they claimed they added my own router to the MAC whitelist, it didn't work. However, there is a workaround to that. Its much easier to connect the 2nd router to the Hathway one with DHCP. And to do away with port forwarding complexities with a DOUBLE NAT setup, its best to simply set the External IP of the 2nd router in the DMZ of Hathway's Router instead of going through the pain of adding Port Forward Rules on both of them. That's it. Port Forwarding can be done from your router henceforth (+1 to my beloved ex airtel for keeping things much simple on the technical aspect).

Coming to the overhead issues of their Fibre. Yes, it did strike me that, unlike airtel or R-jio (I have seen those RJIL labelled concrete slabs in my block 😛) the Hathway wires go overhead. Even though I took the utmost care to instruct them during the wiring (going as far as chasing the linemen to the nearest post) I am indeed sceptical if they will hold up in between or from their main HUB in Sector-V. There is a cleanup work going on in Sector-V to cut off any overhead wires and force the ISPs and Cablewallahs to go underground in assistance with the local Authorities (Which I think is a good move -- to hell with visual pollution. I miss the clean Salt Lake as we grew up to). I wonder if this 'migration' would affect us in the near future. The installation engineer was clueless when I enquired about the same. Let's see how things turn out.

I am still waiting for the R-Jio Gigafiber FTTH (was never a fan of Mobile stuff as I do some heavy rsync / downloading) since 2010. After using airtel for almost 12 years, and their unmatched reliable service (even though it costs a kidney : / ) I am still a bit sceptical about Hathway. R-Jio will fill the impression created by airtel and hopefully they will have better wiring infrastructure than Hathway under the same price range.

Enough of the off-topic chit-chat and coming to my impressions of Hathway. Apart from their technical design as mentioned above the service has been good so far even though it has been 5 days ; so I can't pass a reliable comment. I am getting around 120 Mbit/s UP and 60 Mbit/s Down as per speed test and some personal observation. Although these speeds are only attainable via CAT-5E wire and Gigabit Ethernet setup and not through WiFi (Even the 450 mbps routers are not reliable in this aspect). Till now I have not noticed any ping loss as mentioned by members previously and I hope it doesn't happen (+1 to Airtel again on this aspect). Ping times are a different matter with Hathway. Its difficult to compare it with airtel as I see. I think Hathway's upstream is VSNL/ Tata Comm and as per traceroute the internet routes through Mumbai unlike what airtel does via Chennai -> Singapore (They own a submarine cable all the way to Singtel). So ping times are noticeably better with the west (Europe / US) than with the East (Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, etc). Used to be the other way around with airtel.

I was not at all impressed by the quality of the telephonic customer care when I called them for the MAC Reset issue. It was like calling some local BSNL exchange manually 😛. I hope its not a nightmare to deal with them when there's an actual downtime.

Another issue I have seen with Hathway is that they take the Censorship bullshit thing a bit further than Airtel. Pirate-Bay is blocked as with airtel, but unlike airtel you cannot bypass the block by using https:// versions of the blocked sites (intruding in encrypted SSL requests are we?). The ISPs in India should realise they should jointly serve the interests to their paying customers instead of media barons. The international copyright laws as per the Berne Convention never dealt with 'fair and personal usage' but for unauthorised commercial usage only. But that is not the case here unfortunately.

Last edited:
@icarious wow, that was a long post 🙂 but a good read. I did manage to bind my personal router. I have the supplied D-Link router neatly packed in a box now 😛 I did all the setup and then called the customer care. Asked them to allow the mac address, it took me two calls though but in the end it worked.
The customer care is a hit or miss, sometimes it is really good and at times a little iffy. But overall I have found them to be better than the generic outsourced shit that we get from Airtel these days.
I still have the airtel connection as a backup as I still do not completely trust hathway and I guess I have been now spoiled by this. Come RJIO I will probably (certainly) close the airtel and opt for RJIO. Hope it comes to Salt Lake soon enough.

P.S - You seem to have got a better deal. 2475 including taxes for 3months? How much is the rental minus taxes? Enjoy your new connection.

@Dhrubo.S rental is Rs. 699 + 18% tax for 3 months (Rs. 2475/-). I took a latest price chat from them. The website is not updated. I might post the chart here sometime. I disconnected the airtel line totally. They tried to retain me as usual, but were trying to fool me by downgrating me to a lower plan when I told them about the 1TB Hathway Plan vs my existing 40Mbit/s - 300 GB for Rs. 2400/- per month with them citing "As per our records you don't use so much data", instead of providing an actual 'discount'. If someone looks at them closely, they suck in pots of money from circles like Kolkata and give it back to what they actually consider as their 'Tier-I', circles like Delhi / Haryana. They have 'actual' Fibre in such circles and much cheaper plans. This arrogance needs to be dealt with.

Great deal you got there. I thought I had a wonderful deal and subscribed for 6 months. I will need to haggle the next time it's up for renewal. 😛