Bsnl as backup

• Thread starter Thread starter Nifty
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 42
  • Views Views 4,139
ISP
Airtel
Using airtel as primary broadband, now need another as backup and only option in main ghaziabad for me is Bsnl.

Should I try to merge both broadband or keep separate?

well. if you have sufficient bandwidth on both, using a load sharing router makes a lot of sense.

I have not applied it for it yet, don't know what and how, need suggestions

Have 100 gb on airtel

you would need to buy some new hardware. a load balancing router basically. i imagine it should be able to manage logins to both the connections on its own. so basically a single device would merge the two connections and you can then take the output to a wireless router and use it.

the router would then balance the load on both the connections. so if you are downloading a torrent for example, you could theoretically get combined speed of both connections on that single download (because torrents make multiple connections for downloading). it would not make individual downloads faster because one single stream would still be fetched by one of the two connections. but a download manage which splits the file and download multiple streams would again get you merged speeds.

this is a cheap model with good reviews for example.

TP-LINK LOAD BALANCER ROUTER(TL-R470T+)

Merging is not easy. The lowest cost you will find for a Dual WAN router is 7K. As for using BSNL as a backup, see how BSNL performs in your area. I hope you understand that support is almost non existent in BSNL's case. Personally, I would check if there is any 3rd option available.

No wired option other than these two

Support is non existent? 🙁

Why not take a data card ? I know it is costly, but would serve you well in monsoon.

Costly? How data card is costly?

Also wired broadband is stable in my opinion, I have an home office and also do stock trading, so stability is a requirement for me, good latency too

I am using the load balance router mentioned by @Hold the Drink . My primary line is from a local ISP while BSNL is used as a backup. Works great for me. Although I am not using the router on load balancing mode but on link backup mode (when primary connection fails it switches to BSNL and when it comes back up it reverts to primary connection). Using it on load balancing mode affects the speed of torbox downloads and Google peering. So if your connections don't have Google Peering and torbox caching you can use load balancing mode.

Costly? How data card is costly?

Also wired broadband is stable in my opinion, I have an home office and also do stock trading, so stability is a requirement for me, good latency too

I was referring to mobile data costs.

Yes, latency-wise wired connection is much better.

Dude. The cost is Rs. 3500. And from my understanding you do not have to use two separate modems for the two connections so you just have one device to manage. And you can merge the two bandwidths or use one purely as backup as Nishant mentioned above. I am not sure what the confusion is! A regular modem costs around Rs 800-1000 so this is actually not a bad idea.

I would have bought the TP-Link device myself but the problem in my case is that Reliance has a fucking captive portal which means that it requires manual login which makes it hard to use a load balancing router.

Merging is not easy. The lowest cost you will find for a Dual WAN router is 7K. As for using BSNL as a backup, see how BSNL performs in your area. I hope you understand that support is almost non existent in BSNL's case. Personally, I would check if there is any 3rd option available.

I am not too technical about it

But this post got me thinking

Do I need load balance router plus dual wan router both?