12-minutes/hour advertising rule for TV channels

• Thread starter Thread starter saikar83
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 15,518
Watched IPL on youtube because I couldn't bear watching on tv with all those damn ads coming.

Delhi High Court restrains TRAI from action against TV channels over ads
The News Broadcasters Association (NBA), a group of major national news channels that has been protesting the 12-minute advertising limit per programming hour mandated by the TRAI, moved the high court against the decision. The Delhi High Court Tuesday restrained the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) from taking coercive action against news broadcasters in a case related to advertising cap on TV channels.A division bench of Chief Justice N.V. Ramana and Justice Manmohan also directed broadcasters to submit a weekly report to the TRAI on the duration of ads carried on their channels.

mhsabir said:
Did we leave square one 😀
Nothing good can happen in this country ... Paisa Fekho Tamasha Dekho !! Viewers go to HELL !!

Now I watch most shows recorded earlier. So I just skip ads in 12X speed and resume when programme starts 😀
But yes, in India it will take few more years till some progressive approach is applied related to TV viewing.
Stupid on-screen adverts also back on TEN Cricket!

http://www.media247.co.uk/bizasia/colors-breaches-advertising-allowance-limit
Colors has breached rule 4 of the broadcasting code after the media regulator, Ofcom, identified two instances where the channel had aired more than the permitted advertising allowance.Rule 4 of the code states: “time devoted to television advertising and teleshopping spots on any channel in any one hour must not exceed 12 minutes.”The 23:00 clock hour on 8th September 2013 exceeded the allowance by four minutes and 36 seconds, and the 23:00 clock hour on 20th September 2013 exceeded the allowance by one minute and 46 seconds.The broadcaster acknowledged that these clock hours had exceeded the permitted allowance of advertising and said that both instances were the result of human error.Viacom 18, the owners of Colors, apologised for the errors and said there was no intention to gain commercially from the broadcast of additional minutage. It also said that to prevent a recurrence, it was “working towards tightening processes by ensuring that all UK output has a standard duration of 24 or 46 minutes” to avoid changes to programme durations.
Indian TRAI should be strict as UK's Ofcom who don't spare breaches of advert rule by channels.
But TRAI is finding difficult to implement rule at first place 😀

In UK? I guess they have some measuring system. Also viewers can complain to Ofcom if they find that adverts crossed 12 min per hour limit. There are several complaints raised by viewers to Ofcom over such breaches.