12-minutes/hour advertising rule for TV channels

• Thread starter Thread starter saikar83
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 15,510
Not the first time I have been disappointed with the counter arguments of MN. But then, who gives a damn. It's not like any of our opinions matter. 🙂

mega_processor said:
rules is india are not meant to be executed,they just stay in books while people break them everyday...
Most of them were recommendations. Depends upon feasibility of Operator and technology availability.
For breaking rules, everyone (companies) does that by some or other way, maybe with a fair practise either you can't become big or can't sustain at all. They pay huge ($$$) to employees and Babu's.

chromaniac said:
Frankly. Bad arguments. Broadcasters are paying unreasonable amount of money for television rights. It's their problem. Why do I have to watch ads during live broadcast of formula 1 races? I stopped watching television completely because of censorship ad insane amount of ads on television. Who is to blame here?
I can understand what you are saying .. There was a time where I had stopped seeing cricket matches because of insane ads .. specially the " L " shaped ads in SD telecast .. Now with HD I have again started seeing cricket as there arent so many ads just yet .. I hope it stays this way in " HD " else I will stop watching again ...

why not let the market and the consumer decide? They have the remote, they can choose where to go.
Its funny they (MN) are saying choose with remote. But then are they giving us any alternate?
I am one of the few who has stopped watching TV (except sports and very very rarely movies) because of these ads.

Then you will have to essentially pay a lot more per channel. Television is a business like any other. The best way to tell channels to do something is through your wallet. Government intervention has neither worked nor will it ever work.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k13/may/may169.php
he ad cap scrap has been put to rest. Both news and general entertainment channels (GECs) have accepted that the amount of free commercial time that will be allowed per hour will be 12 minutes from 1 October.
With immediate effect, broadcasters will not exceed 30 minutes of advertising per hour.
From 1 July, news channels will reduce advertising to 20 minutes per hour while GECs will cut it down to 16 minutes.This will be in force until 30 September, following which the 12-minute rule will be enforced from 1 October.

Some regional channels apparently
I remember some movies "run" for 4-5 hours (actual movie maybe 3 or under)

UTV Movies and Zee Cinema are the worst. Zee Cinema has a track record of dragging a 2:20 movie to almost 5 hours. I had even written a post about it. Reproducing it here.
The following is not an exaggeration but a true incident.Mom: Dinner is on the table. Me: Goes and picks up the remote while moving towards the table. Sits down and flips through movie channels. Finds an interesting movie on a channel. Switches on the channel and starts eating the food. Looks at the TV and notices ads are coming. No worry. Eats calmly while talking to family members. 1 chapati down. Ads are still coming. No worries. 2..3..4 chapatis down. Burrp! Food was delicious. Gets up and takes his plate towards the kitchen. Checks TV. Ads are coming. Indulges in chat again. Feeling sleepy. Ads are still coming. Flips through other channels. Nothing interesting. Goes and switches off the TV and goes towards bedroom. *Yawwnz* Good Night.

You are forgetting the Live coverage cannot have Ads as per the original orders. But i see this development as good. Earlier the scenario was that it wont be implemented now channels have agreed to implement in a phased manner but yet yes.