12-minutes/hour advertising rule for TV channels

saikar83

Regulars
http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/V5AWQ1qyD8XeIxg26HMRpJ/Trai-notifies-12minute-per-hour-ad-rule.html
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) on Friday notified regulations afresh restricting advertising time on television channels to 12 minutes per hour, unleashing a storm of protest by broadcasters who said the curb would hurt them economically..

Sushubh

Administrator
Someone needs to clarify something. Is this a recommendation or a rule?Knowing TRAI, it seems that whatever they want to implement does not get implemented at all. Because it is usually just a recommendation and they have no powers to regulate anything. :D
also. 12 minutes per hour is like 20% which is still a lot. i am not sure why the f is that a problem for the broadcasters. :D
They are allowed to show one minute of ad for every four minutes of programming!

Saurav

Looking for BSNL Broadband substitute
Regulars
I think it's a rule but when is the implementation going to start from?
As of now it's 20 minutes per hour advertising. So this rule would definitely hit them economically.

mhsabir

Xclusive
Regulars
Serials have 12 mins, but every half hour (18:12) is what they have, so its a reduction. Also this stops from showing L-shaped ads etc. Thats why the hue and cry.

Sushubh

Administrator
Frankly. Bad arguments. Broadcasters are paying unreasonable amount of money for television rights. It's their problem. Why do I have to watch ads during live broadcast of formula 1 races? I stopped watching television completely because of censorship ad insane amount of ads on television. Who is to blame here?

kickass

Super Adm1n
Regulars
the joy of watching uncensored and without ads in full HD (via torrents of corz :p) beats the crap outta tv anyday anytime. the ads simply make me want to get up and walk away regardless of how interesting the show is. unfortunately we are a small percentage and as such can't affect their revenues.