Ebook reader

• Thread starter Thread starter Antlion
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 2,139
ISP
MTNL
So, I've only recently found out about how e-ink works differently than a backlit phone screen I've been using all along. Would like some recommendations on readers with e-ink display.

Budget - 5-6k

Needs to have just the bare minimum functionality, preferably one that could fit inside a pocket. I don't intend to use wifi or download/buy books off online stores, only offline usage.

Thanks.

I doubt a Kindle would fit inside a pocket. And I doubt there are e-ink based ebook readers that are small enough to fit in the pocket. I suggest getting the basic Kindle which costs around 6K. There is no competition left in the market.

All-New Kindle eReader with built-in WiFi & a touch screen- Amazon.in

Upvote 0
The Kindle is indeed the best choice right now, and if you have pockets that are above average in size, you can fit one inside your pocket, although it wouldn't be the most comfortable thing ever. The base Kindle model would fit your budget.

Upvote 0
if you seriously want to buy an ebook reader that fits your pocket... there was a smartphone model on sale with dual display. the second display was e-ink. it was launched for around 20K but ended up getting sold for less than 10K eventually. i wonder if it is still available.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for your responses 🙂

Leaning towards the kobo glo model mentioned, little out of budget but it looks like a promising buy.

Thank you again 🙂

Upvote 0
Something to note here... I am not sure how big the library of Kobo is. Sure they claim to have millions of ebooks on offer. But Amazon Kindle Store is likely to feature everything. Every single new book that is released in the market today is also likely to get a Kindle edition. I am not sure if they also get released on the Kobo platform. Though I guess there are always going to be other sources to get your hands on the same ebooks that are compatible with Kobo.

Upvote 0
Thank you, Hold the Drink.

I don't expect to use the online store much, whatever little they have to offer would be fine. I am able to find most of the ebooks I need online or upon request on some of the trackers I'm on.

Upvote 0
I have used kobo glo in the past and the experience was abysmal at best. The os is riddled with bugs and gets even nastier with the monthly updates so if any of you guys are planning to buy this device then my advice is to never update the device at all.

Upvote 0