Rumored Reliance Jio Fiber Broadband Plans

5G is supposed to solve issue of signal penetration into inside buildings/walls etc I believe.

One advantage of 5G (wireless) over FTTH (wired) is no cable cutting by competing LCOs and no issues of permission to dig or lay the fiber in last mile of the house.

ISPs just have to upgrade their towers to 5G enable them to provide service in any location and side step the problem of permissions.

@vishalrao If 5G can do that, it would be awesome. Where did you read about it?

I think Jio FTTH ping issue can be resolved easily as Jio is more focused on setting up physical infrastructure,their network is virtualised so when the infra is in place, required configuration(routers,switches) can be done overnight.

If they are going to have LCO for the last-mile, I don't have any hopes they would fix it.

^ Now this is some twist, overall I know 5G won't have anything to deal with FTTH. FTTH has it's own requirements and the customer base. 🙂

I read a while back (dont have a link at the moment) that 5G even though it is higher frequency (leading you to believe it will be harder to penetrate walls and reach inside buildings) it will be deployed with higher power output rating allowing for better reach.

If I find that link I will share it here.

There wont be any widespread coverage of 5G like we have for 4G. It will be having very limited coverage concentrated in metro areas.

Why confuse frequency with 2/3/4/5G.... Higher the frequency lower the penetration and vice versa.

Lately Jio has been successful because of the use of multiple frequencies available simultaneously and selection of best frequency by handset/ software...

5G I guess will build upon carrier aggregation and other technologies which will further optimise the bandwidth across various frequencies... so giving overall better signal/ experience.