Google Allo

it is coming preinstalled on most new phones i think. google made it one of the mandatory apps from what i understand. might not be on chinese phones. but moto and other devices do come preloaded with it.

but i do not think enabling it is part of the activation process so the user still has to manually enable it even if it comes preinstalled.

I feel Allo, Duo and Chat deserves 3 different threads?

they are all going to die or merge or discarded. i actually want to merge android messages to this as well so that all the new updates related to google's attempts to take on imessage/whatsapp can be collected at the same place.

i actually started a new thread for google chat but conversation started happening in this thread so merged them.

Last edited:
it is actually likely that allo and android messages would be merged together for google chat because that's what the reports say. google would dump their own proprietary standard and switch completely to sms/rcs for this. android messages is what they use for rcs right now and it's likely allo would not survive once this new messaging platform is launched.

What is Google chat??? Never heard!

Google keeps shutting down things and then brings it back with a new name.

that was the actual news you posted in this thread here.

the original source stated that google would use the branding CHAT for their new client that would use RCS as the base technology.
since allo did not do as well as they had hoped, they have halted development on it.
android messages already uses rcs on supported networks so it is likely that it would be renamed as CHAT because it would be stupid to have two RCS clients but then it's google so one can never tell.

LOL. I just noticed the death of Allo and posted it but had no idea about new Chat thing! 😀

i think it's a good move but sadly, rcs is dependent upon carrier so it is going to be a mess for a long time.