BSNL broadband does not work with Ubuntu 14.04

• Thread starter Thread starter ashwin_d123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 75
  • Views Views 7,793
@vishal Rao - Router name - Teracom - model number TDSL 300W2

The current issue is that I cannot access the net through DHCP but only through static IP.

Hard reset of the router using a pin has been done half a dozen times. But I am not able to configure DHCP. So we went with the option of static IP which works for now.

Yeah I read DHCP doesn't work on both Windows or Linux for you - that sucks - and points to likely DHCP config problem on router admin page side.

Would you mind trying to enable DHCP on the router side and OS and type the output of "dmesg" command here from Ubuntu? (Just to see if some info is there related to DHCP issue in the logs).

@ashwin_d123 in addition to "dmesg" output , can you post screenshots of your router config pages for LAN and "DHCP Server" portions, just to see if any anomalies there?

OK so you are able to browse net with static settings but cannot open the router admin page at 192.168.1.1 ?

Can you check your "subnet mask" setting in OS is it 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0 , try one or the other then again opening webpage http://192.168.1.1/ in your browser?

The DHCP or LAN settings should be there under some page titled like "Internet/LAN" or "DHCP server" something like that.

Meanwhile I will look at the dmesg if I can understand anything from it 😀

Ok - could not figure out anything from the dmesg log 😛

Can you try this - enable DHCP in your OS (change to "Automatic" in IPv4 settings dropdown) - and save it. Then in the console type following command:

Code:
sudo service network-manager restart

(I hope this is right version of command for 14.04 OS) and then see if you are able to connect to Internet and also the router's page at 192.168.1.1 ?

I tried that. sudo service network-manager restart after changing OS settings in networking to automatic DHCP.
It tries to get a connection and then disconnects. Frequently it tries and fails.

So I am back to static IP 🙂

Also @ashwin_d123 - when you have working connection in static mode - what is the "Gateway" value set in your config? Try that gateway IP as the modem/router webpage IP?

Did you try subnet mask (called "netmask" in the settings dialog) either 255.255.0.0 and 255.255.255.0 and also try opening 192.168.1.1 and also whatever is written in the "gateway" section of the OS settings dialog for both settings?

So if gateway is 192.168.1.1 then that is your modem/router IP address and for whatever reason you are able to browse net but NOT open the router's admin webpage 😀

So try changing the netmask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 then open 192.168.1.1 - this is the last thing I can think of, then it's time for me to give up 😀

Yes.

When I went to nearby BSNL office they reset the router OK ? And reconfigure DHCP. Works fine. Then I am able to connect via DHCP.

What happens after that is the issue. When I shutdown Ubuntu or Windows and reboot I am unable to get a DHCP connection. That is the problem.

At that point I am forced to take a manual static IP.

Why ? I do not know.

Hmmm, bad modem I guess 😀 When BSNL guys reset and reconfigure it probably works, then when you carry it back home, it is unable to store/remember the settings (maybe old battery/capacitor inside) and you have to get back to static IP.

OK last 2 things for you to try, then I guess we should stop scratching our heads:

1. In your browser do you type just the number "192.168.1.1" or also type HTTP:// before that? Try that?

2. Do you have virtual machine software installed, like VMware or VirtualBox? Sometimes they mess with LAN adapter settings (my Windows OS with VM software installed does not work in DHCP - similar issue to yours - but Linux OS on same machine works fine). - so I would suggest if you have the bootable Live ISO image of Ubuntu (14.04 or any other) you can boot that to check if you are getting DHCP IP from your router?

1) I try with http://192.168.1.1
2) I do not have virtual machine software installed like VMWare or VirtualBox.

I have a neighbor who has D-Link modem brand new. The issue is that the adapter is broken when he got it. So we will try that and see if the problem goes away. Thanks for your online support Vishal Rao.

I have to thank Dilip for his tireless efforts as well.

Cool, yes, will be good to know if you update us here after trying different/new modem/router and what is the result. Cheers.